Holidays...

Sponsored Links
Thats always been the case wherever i've worked pip?

Well, that is what I thought - doctors cert' required of course... Certainly I enjoyed that situation, luckily never in the situation.
--

Sponsored Links
Didn't the UK have a system like that years ago and it got abused as predicted?
Yes they did, the company I worked for introduced six sickness days, it was not long before those days were taken as a right, instead as a favour, there will always be the greedy element, who spoil things for others.

Many years ago I took 3 days leave but became genuinely ill the last day & had to take an additional 2 days sick, making up the full week. When I got back to work (major UK Company), I was told “the rules” didn’t allow sick leave to follow on from annual leave or vice-versa. I was honest & quiet happy to book the first 3 days as leave but didn’t want to book the whole 5 days as such. I had an excellent sick absence record & was duly told that the easiest thing would be to book the whole week off sick under self certification (they allowed 5 days), which I duly did!

Thats always been the case with BG and it used to be if your on a shift that paid a premium you still got that as well but they kept that a secret.

How is this open to abuse as claimed in the article?

All the employee has to do is have the leave as normal, and then just go sick at some other time instead.

The end result will be the same amount of time off, whether taken as sick or as holiday

I think the abuse is in the manor it could be done.
You could book two weeks jollys. Claim to your employer that you feel ill on the first day of them the illness lasted two weeks(sick notes etc.... handed in) Then still have those two weeks left in the back pocket for a later date.

Then still have those two weeks left in the back pocket for a later date.

Yes but that no different to having the two weeks holiday, and then when you want some more time off, then just go off sick.

At least this way, there is no opportunity for the company to refuse your holiday request :rolleyes:

i get 6 weeks sickness beneft.and 1 year i actually used it all up within the 1st 5mths of the new year,had op on both knees and 4 mths later had to have 1 done again.and still had 5 weeks holiday to take. :)

made redundant early in the year because I was having days off sick.. and they counted against me..
the thing is, every day I was off sick I took as a holiday ( or I got no pay.. no sick pay scheme.. ) so I used up my days holiday when I was ill..

having odd days off also counted against me in the way they did the points..
it was days off x periods off.. so 2 weeks off in one go counted as 14 points, but 5 days off over 5 occasions counted as 25 points..

Yes they did, the company I worked for introduced six sickness days, it was not long before those days were taken as a right, instead as a favour, there will always be the greedy element, who spoil things for others.
I have heard of cases where employees have been reminded that they haven't taken their "allocated" sick leave and need to do so before the end of the year! Presumably the staff levels have been calculated on the basis of X days holiday and Y days sick and the boss is concerned in case his staff numbers are cut.

Sponsored Links
Back