Resignation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to resign from my current job, the problem is that i'm currently on holiday and do not return to work until Jan 4th

Is it acceptable to serve a notice during a holiday period?

My line manager is not at work either but I know he will check his email from home.

I am not leaving on bad terms and would like to serve my notice period (4 weeks) but it would also be nice to knock a week from that during this holiday.

Sponsored Links
Is it acceptable to serve a notice during a holiday period?

Probably not but given the 4 week notice period I would think that they would not be too bothered and could accommodate your leaving quite easily.

Have you a better job lined up? :D

Your notice period starts when you hand it in, as its to allow your employer time to sort a replacement for you.

If you choose to not work your full notice you will find you could lose some holiday pay etc as you haven't fulfilled your contract, however given the time of year etc you might be starting a new holiday allocation and might end up owing them a couple of days pay that they would take from your months lying time.

If you are entitled to full sick pay and they tell you to work your full notice they will know you will just throw a sickie so it might be better to let you finish a week early.
It all depends on the company and your relationship with them, worst scenario is you tell them you are finishing a week early to take up a new post and dont expect to be paid as you are moving to a new job.

Good luck with the new job. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
First off, good luck with the new position, I hope it turns out to be what you want.

A lot of firms, especially where there is sensitive work/information being carried out will sometimes ask you to leave immediately.
This is no reflction on you if you have been a loyal employee, it is to reduce the risk of sabotage when someone leaves 'under a cloud' so to speak. If your line manager checks his emails regularly then there probably won't be any problem. You won't have built up any holiday entitlement so I can't see you owing them any money.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Back