Home wiring a mess, help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are renovating our house and the wiring seems to be a total mess, probably done in part by the previous owner.

In order to help the electrician/keep costs down, I have traced out the excuse for a ring main (loads of spurs) and am going to run new 2.5mm T&E to the sockets so it is all ready to be connected by the spark.
Can you have a look at my rough circuit plans, current and proposed, and let me know if it is ok, as I'm a bit worried that I'll be over the max cable length.
The floor plan is less than 100m2, but with 2.6m ceiling height and cables running both through the attic down to sockets as well as under floor, will it be better to split the ring into 2?
Note: sockets are named by their position.
Blue and red sketches are current layout, green is proposed.
Cheers, Chris.
20170723_164037.jpg 20170723_164145.jpg 20170723_164048.jpg

Sponsored Links
Would it not be best to discuss your proposed circuits and circuit routes, with the electrician you are to employ to complete the work?

I know, if I was the electrician, I would like to know and have my input.

I agree with Derry, engage an electrician who will let u run circuits under his guidance .
At a first glance your drawing shows some glaring errors:
Spurs from spurs
At least one figure of 8 layout.

Exactly, the previous owner has added bits and removed bits, so it's all a mess. I want to get as much done before the electrician starts so I'm not paying for him to spend a whole day crawling about tracing circuits and installing cable on top of the day or two installing a new CU.
15008322829401887194318.jpg
As you can see the state of the wiring leaves a lot ti be desired.

Sponsored Links
Obviously it needs attention. But my advice is to engage your electrician first. Do not run any cables. They may not be right, or in the correct places.

Work with the electrician. He'll be pleased to let you lift floorboards, make access available and probably run some wiring under his guidance.

If you do otherwise he'll either need to re-do what you have done, or refuse to do the work at all. Neither of which will help save and time, or money.

... installing a new CU ...
If you live in England or Wales that makes the work notifiable.

It would be wrong of you to expect an electrician to say that he did the work which you did and then simply presented to him as a fait accompli.

Why do you want a new CU, BTW?

If you live in England or Wales that makes the work notifiable. It would be wrong of you to expect an electrician to say that he did the work which you did and then simply presented to him as a fait accompli.
Agreed on both counts, but what makes you think that the OP is expecting an electrician to say that he did work (installed a new CU) which the OP did (and then "presented it to him as a fait accomplis")?? It appears that we are being told that the electrician will be installing the new CU ...
I want to get as much done before the electrician starts so I'm not paying for him to spend a whole day crawling about tracing circuits and installing cable on top of the day or two installing a new CU.

Kind Regards, John

ban-all-sheds, new CU as the RCD in the current one doesn't work, and as it's an obsolete MEM board, the replacement RCD and adaptor to fit cost more than a new board.
For info, I'm in Scotland, and I would be getting the electrician to check any work I did when they install new CU.
Cheers for the answers so far.
My main concern is making the circuit safer than it is now, but I wanted to make sure that if I made the sockets in my diagram into one ring, would the cable length be too long?
I will probably get the spark to create a separate ring for the kitchen, as there's all sorts of random circuits feeding different parts of the house. The previous owner appears to have had issues, as I have found disconnected cables terminated in connector blocks and just left in the back of live sockets!

Agreed on both counts, but what makes you think that the OP is expecting an electrician to say that he did work (installed a new CU) which the OP did (and then "presented it to him as a fait accomplis")?? It appears that we are being told that the electrician will be installing the new CU ...
Well - think that if you will.

The new cable and the new CU are two components of the same "job", and I think it wrong (and foolish) for the OP to simply assume that a reputable electrician would be happy with that (IMO pretty specious) division.

As often happens (and I can NEVER understand why), there seems to be opposition to the idea that the electrician should be consulted in advance, and agreement reached on what he's happy for the OP to do. I really cannot see what the problem is with that. If he's OK with the OP's plan, then he's OK with it. If he's not, then the time to find that out is at the beginning, not when he rocks up to change the CU.

ban-all-sheds, new CU as the RCD in the current one doesn't work, and as it's an obsolete MEM board, the replacement RCD and adaptor to fit cost more than a new board.
OK.

For info, I'm in Scotland, and I would be getting the electrician to check any work I did when they install new CU.
I'm not familiar with their rules on warrants etc.

if I made the sockets in my diagram into one ring, would the cable length be too long?
Probably not (103m). But if you're having a CU then why even consider having all the sockets on one circuit?

I will probably get the spark to create a separate ring for the kitchen
A ring may not be the most appropriate design.
They are not compulsory, other circuit arrangements are available.

As often happens (and I can NEVER understand why), there seems to be opposition to the idea that the electrician should be consulted in advance, and agreement reached on what he's happy for the OP to do. I really cannot see what the problem is with that. If he's OK with the OP's plan, then he's OK with it. If he's not, then the time to find that out is at the beginning, not when he rocks up to change the CU.
I agree and, like you, do not understand why people think like that.

Kind Regards, John

My main concern is making the circuit safer than it is now
Do you the age of the fixed wiring, it may not be able to make it safe.
Probably a good idea to have circuits tested first, then it can be accessed what issues you may have. You are having a new CU installed, so those initial tests will come in helpful for that.
but I wanted to make sure that if I made the sockets in my diagram into one ring, would the cable length be too long?
Probably not.
I will probably get the spark to create a separate ring for the kitchen, as there's all sorts of random circuits feeding different parts of the house. The previous owner appears to have had issues, as I have found disconnected cables terminated in connector blocks and just left in the back of live sockets!
Oh dear, it is always difficult making sense of DIY circuits, especially those where the previous owner/owner's mate/bloke from the pub has had their way with it!
i would suggest ripping the lot out and starting again, possibly easier and safer in the long or even short run.
But I understand that you are Scottish and things are always a bit tight:mrgreen:
(Please note that is tongue in check, you did say you live in Scotland and you may not be Scottish at all. Just tight:whistle:)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back