Honda Mower HRX - not starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I made an error today and tilted the lawnmower the wrong way to change the blade and completely covered the carburettor in oil. I've cleaned up the spills over the mower and inside the air filter but it's now struggling to start

It started fine with lots of smoke and after 15 mins it cut out after I engaged the blade. It then would't start, so I removed the air filter and cover and with it off it starts fine. If I put the air filter back on it cuts out even though the air filter is clean.

Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links
If the air filter is a foam element, wash it out with petrol, squeeze dry and refit; it's probably blocked with oil.

If it's a paper or cloth unit then you need to replace it; again it's probably blocked with oil.

The restriction of a dirty filter (dirt or oil) is sufficient to prevent the engine running.

If the air filter is a foam element, wash it out with petrol, squeeze dry and refit; it's probably blocked with oil.

If it's a paper or cloth unit then you need to replace it; again it's probably blocked with oil.

The restriction of a dirty filter (dirt or oil) is sufficient to prevent the engine running.

Hi - I think it's cloth, I will see if I can wash it tomorrow with WD40, which may shift the oil. If not I will buy a new one.

Thanks, Nick

WD40 a waste of time since it'll leave an oily film behind which is just as bad as the oil coating the filter. Use petrol or some other solvent that a) washes out the oil and b) evaporates as it dries out. But is it's paper you're best bet is to change it for a new one.

Sponsored Links
Paper filter on these, so replace it, as jack recommends......in the future, only tilt the machine back on its handles for blade maintenance - although it is recommended to tip the machine over on the filler spout side to drain off the old oil.
John :)

I guess I will need to order a new filter off the internet but I desperately need to mow the lawn. Any ideas on what I could do to make a temporary filter to get me through one cut for 45 mins?

Nylon stocking / pair of tights over the air cleaner housing......but worry ye not anyway for 45 mins.
A genuine filter is near a tenner from a dealer.....Dick Turpin Enterprises, etc.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back