Hope for the Sub ?

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised that it doesn't have a safety feature that it would naturally rise to the surface.

Andy
Allegedly some timed device triggers a resurface after x hours, however lots of dependancies here, redundancy and resilience didn't seem relevant factors in it's design.
Under 24hrs of oxygen left.

First thoughts when I heard this story was a comparison with deep submersibles in the oil industry. (watched an interesting prog about it a year or so ago) They don't go anywhere near this deep (deep enough though) but they don't even get damp until the service ship with rescue equipment is on hand and fully ready.

If it isn't hooked up on something this sub could be miles away by now and will be almost impossible to find without some sort of beacon. Even if a suitable submersible can be found, by the time it has travelled to the area and is ready for action it will be too late. Bottom line unfortunately, is that it will be looking over an area of miles and miles in pitch blackness. We should always maintain hope in these situations but the most likely outcome is that this sub is never even found, let alone rescued.

I say hooked up because this sub has a drop weight that would bring it to the surface in an emergency. It can be hand cranked if the power fails so you have to wonder why that hasn't been deployed? If they had and they are on the surface somewhere, surely they would have been spotted? The only other possibility is that they are hooked up on something? What is curious about that is that they lost contact when they were about an hour and a half down - which is about half way. If so what could they be hooked on? There's a good chance we'll never know the answers?

Sponsored Links
I can't understand why it would be designed such that the door is bolted shut from the outside.

Once you're more than a few metres down, water pressure alone would make it physically impossible to shove open from inside anyway.

I hope they are saved, and then, bearing in mind how rich they are, they pay back the costs of the rescue.

4000m below the surface? Jeepers! That is hostile territory, right there.
400m is hostile territory let alone 4000m.

It's bloody fascinating - I've been hooked watching saturation diving.

A testament of how difficult it is we have made way more journeys into space than into the deep ocean trenches.

I can't understand why it would be designed such that the door is bolted shut from the outside.

Once you're more than a few metres down, water pressure alone would make it physically impossible to shove open from inside anyway.

I suppose it has to do with the fact they have to be first pressurised on land and then lowered - what benefit is it to them to have control of the opening of the vessel when they can only do that when pressures are equalised?

Pressures are equalised when they are at the bottom (why would they do that) or in the support vessel when they have the crew to do that task.

If it's a sealed system - which I think it is - no, as they're breathing air at normal atmospheric pressure.

The byford dolphin disaster.

I believe the diver was liquified by being squeezed through a small opening.

A testament of how difficult it is we have made way more journeys into space than into the deep ocean trenches.

Something I already knew - subconsciously - but never considered until I heard it on R5L this morning.

Going into space only involves a pressure change of 1 atm.

A submersible going to the Titanic undergoes a pressure change of almost 400 atm...........

We have to consider how long it took to find the titanic in the first place and the fact that the sub is claimed to be the only commercial manned vessel capable of going that deep. But their are RVs capable.

I'm surprised that it doesn't have a safety feature that it would naturally rise to the surface.

Andy
I heard on the radio just now from someone that had been on it that the ballast release method is crude to say the least. It is on the outside of the submersible and is released by tipping the sub to one side. This is achieved by everybody inside moving to one side and then to the other!

I heard on the radio just now from someone that had been on it that the ballast release method is crude to say the least. It is on the outside of the submersible and is released by tipping the sub to one side. This is achieved by everybody inside moving to one side and then to the other!

The more I hear about how this sub was built, the more I think of this:

:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back