hot water seldoms comes in the bathroom

I am extremely sorry for not replying earlier. I was at work and finished the shift so could not answer.

I have a plumber coming to my house tom. i would be very thankful if you could help.

sorry once again.

Sponsored Links
As tincup and slapper said you most likely have an air lock or sticking ballvalve.

If you still get hot water to the kitchen tap then it's an air lock in the pipe supplying the bathroom.

There is no way a 3 bed terraced house should need a pump.

i get the hot water in the kitchen but it does not have a lot of force. i feel it is an airlock as well and when i explained to a plumber, he feels the same too.

tilak";p="1487827 said:
hello everyone,

I recently bought a 3 bed mid terrace house in south harrow. The house has a Potterton system bolier. The water cyclinder is in the attic.

can you do a picture of this cylinder in the attic :idea: and any other tanks etc. up there

Sponsored Links
Nige F";p="1490427 said:
hello everyone,

I recently bought a 3 bed mid terrace house in south harrow. The house has a Potterton system bolier. The water cyclinder is in the attic.

can you do a picture of this cylinder in the attic :idea: and any other tanks etc. up there

i will post the picture in few minutes.

Thanks, had a look - obviously not much distance between top of Hot cylinder and bottom of cold cistern,( Could have been a massive attic ;) ) Hot pipe from top of cylinder should come off horizontal, then go to a T with one pipe going up and over top of cold cistern ( vent pipe) then the hot water pipe should go straight down , through into the bathroom and on down to the kitchen. If there are any horizontal parts to the pipe , they could trap air. Also the pipe from the cold cistern to the bottom of the hot cylinder should be bigger diameter than the hot outlet ( previously mentioned). Could be drawing air in the vent pipe when the kitchen hot tap is opened ...this air then lays somewhere in the pipe and the problem "snowballs"into an airlock. Also, as suggested it could be the "Ballvalve" in the Cold cistern , partly blocked with a bit of grit etc- allowing the cistern to drain as you draw hot water... then it refills very slowly over a day or so- and back comes the hot water supply :idea: Not that difficult for a plumber to check the ballvalve - and worst case scenario, alter a few pipes. PS. I have assumed the cold cistern just feeds the hot cylinder- and all your cold taps are mains pressure ( like cold tap on kitchen sink) I think this because of the apparent size of the cold cistern in the roof. Might be wrong on that one :oops:

Thanks, had a look - obviously not much distance between top of Hot cylinder and bottom of cold cistern,( Could have been a massive attic ;) ) Hot pipe from top of cylinder should come off horizontal, then go to a T with one pipe going up and over top of cold cistern ( vent pipe) then the hot water pipe should go straight down , through into the bathroom and on down to the kitchen. If there are any horizontal parts to the pipe , they could trap air. Also the pipe from the cold cistern to the bottom of the hot cylinder should be bigger diameter than the hot outlet ( previously mentioned). Could be drawing air in the vent pipe when the kitchen hot tap is opened ...this air then lays somewhere in the pipe and the problem "snowballs"into an airlock. Also, as suggested it could be the "Ballvalve" in the Cold cistern , partly blocked with a bit of grit etc- allowing the cistern to drain as you draw hot water... then it refills very slowly over a day or so- and back comes the hot water supply :idea: Not that difficult for a plumber to check the ballvalve - and worst case scenario, alter a few pipes.

altering few pipes... is it a major job. I have a plumber coming tom and will tell him what you are saying.

thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Start with ballvalve :idea: even the pipes shouldn`t be a big job - might not be necessary anyway ;) Good luck.

Had a similar problem at a customers house: It turned out to be an easy solution. I opened the stop cock a bit more.
The tank was emptying faster than it filled therefore there was not a good head of water in the tank???
Hope yours is as easy.

Start with ballvalve :idea: even the pipes shouldn`t be a big job - might not be necessary anyway ;) Good luck.

the plumber did not come today...sick...he said he will make it tom..will mention it to him whatever you have told me..thank you so much for your time

Had a similar problem at a customers house: It turned out to be an easy solution. I opened the stop cock a bit more.
The tank was emptying faster than it filled therefore there was not a good head of water in the tank???
Hope yours is as easy.

Thank you....i really hope it is easy

turned the stop cock to the fullest. The plumber replaced the ballvalve...but still the same problem. The bathroom suite is a very old one and needs replacing.

I am even planning to get a combi boiler. I think the plumbing in the house was badly done before.

thanks all of you who replied to my post.

Tliak that wasn't a plumber you had in it was a F*$£ING idiot.

Any decent plumber would have had a look in the tank, if water was in it why change a ballcock (extra bucks).

You have an air lock.

The pipe to the kitchen probably comes off first and the bathroom probnably off a long run across the attic.

Think of it this way. The pipe has to rise (or at least be level) from the tap to the top connection on the cylinder (not stricktly true but trying to put it over in laymans terms). Your photos show the wrong pipes (heating). You are only concerned with the pipe that comes off the top of the cylinder.

Pipes can get bent by people crawling over them or they might never have been put in right in the first place.

Check for dips and RISES in the pipe to the bathroom (follow it) and fix them. Copper bends easily :eek:

Check the size of pipe that is coming from the black tank to the cylinder. With both being in the loft the one from the black tank to the cylinder should be bigger. If it is the same size it WILL draw air in.

BTW get a decent registered plumber not a course cowboy :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back