Hotpoint VTD00 tumble dryer stopping in cycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a Hotpoint VTD00 tumble dryer that seems to work fine, until I believe the reversal is reached, and I get a buzzing but due to not wanting to take off the side whilst the power is on, I'm not sure if it's coming from the timer or the motor? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Just remove the top lid to expose the timer located on the reverse side of the front fascia panel then you can establish if the buzzing is coming from the timer or the motor, if sound coming from further down. Buzzing is unlikely to be the timer But depends on your description of buzzing.

It is quite common for the timers to go faulty but there is another possibility.

Thanks, as I had the lid off I put my "lughole" in danger and moved very close, I am pretty sure now that the buzzing is coming from the lower area, so will try to sort out the motor. Many thanks.

I assume you know its not actually the motor itself thats faulty?

Just checking you know and the potential dangers involved!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the warning, I do appreciate it, and yes I'm aware it could be the capacitor, but then, it's only when in one direction.

Yes, could be more resistance on the drum on the felt and pads in reverse or could even be something catching preventing drum from rotating in reverse, coin/bra wire/zip etc.. Does it freely spin by hand in both directions?

Yes the drum turns normally, and especially when powered, but then it comes to a halt as if to reverse, but the motor sounds like it's jamming, so I'll change that tomorrow and see how things are after that.

thanks again for the suggestions.

Change cap and see, cheap and easy check.

Possibly not enough charge for reverse.

Nice one, I can do that quicker than the motor, worth a try, thank you.

Whilst motor exposed just check it is in fact freely turning in reverse, theres no reason why it shouldnt be but just as well to check.
Belt obviously in good condition and good tension and theres no tension pulley to worry about on this model. Belt fits around drum and directly onto motor spindle.

Thanks for that, the motor, drum and belt are all turning as should be.

Let me know how you get on replacing cap, if that does not do it there is something you can try that will determine for sure whether it is the motor turnings or timer.

Cheers and thanks for your time. I'll be onto it in the morning.

Ah well, tried a different capacitor but the same result, so when I can I'll try to find a motor to swap and test.

Thanks again for the comments.

Before trying this let me just check something!!! Do you have a pcb board located next to the timer control? Looks like this ebay item 111553187937
How about swapping the wiring over at the timer so that the forward and reverse spins are reversed temporarily just to see if the fault moves with the change over or remains the same.
If it remains the same i.e reverse spin not working you know its the motor
If the fault moves to the forward you know its the timer.

Worth a shot?

You will need to trace the motor wiring back to the timer to establish which wires are which but simple enough by eye or meter. Theres very little wiring on a basic vented dryer like this one so should be easy enough.

Unfortunately as you well know there aren't any brushes on these motors so no maintenance can be done on them and very little to go wrong with them but they can fail and of course its likely the windings have failed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back