Hotpoint VTD00 tumble dryer stopping in cycle

Do you have a pcb board located next to the timer control? Looks like this ebay item 111553187937
How about swapping the wiring over at the timer so that the forward and reverse spins are reversed temporarily just to see if the fault moves with the change over or remains the same.
If it remains the same i.e reverse spin not working you know its the motor
If the fault moves to the forward you know its the timer.
No, I don't have one of those, only
DSCF3252_zpsbt7sjkay.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ok basically the same thing, relay, except one is pcb mounted.

Trace the wiring from the motor, 3 wires red black and white, correct?
Red and black to cap - wires then change colour, where do they go?
White has a connector - trace this wire back too! Where does it go?

Okay, i've put it away for the moment, I'll have another go tomorrow, many thanks again for your advice and assistance.

Spot on with the wiring, and the white changes to a blue which connects to the timer and the relay. In fact it's the blue connector which you can see in the relay picture.

Sponsored Links
Ok good, so where do the other 2 wires from the cap go?

Damn, typed up an essay and blasted phone shut off and lost it all!
Sorry for delay, here goes again!

Remove plug at mains socket.
Wait 5 mins for cap discharge.
Make a careful note of where ALL the wires go on the timer in case any come off whilst fiddling.
Reverse the 2 wires on the timer that you traced back from the cap/motor.
Plug back into mains and turn on.

Observe the direction of rotation. Reverse tumble is usually only a short period of time but now its swapped over the forward tumble will be short.

Please note : usually under normal conditions in reverse tumble the heater is switched off!

With the wiring reversed the drum will reverse rotate with the heat ON!

Heater could overheat or be damaged if used like this for too long of a period at a time, when switching it on just turn the dial to the cool tumble near the last 10 mins of the timer. There is no heat switched on during the cool tumble so no need to worry about the heater.
It should still forward and reverse tumble in the cooling period.

Thanks again, did that, just buzzing. so it looks like that may be the motor but at the moment I haven't found a spare, so I'll have another look tomorrow.

Last time you switched it off it was on the reverse tumble, yes?

Have you changed the dial since???

It may well be that the timer is in reverse still!!! But as we know, it should now be in forward tumble cos we swapped the wires.

This would indicate a faulty timer!!!!!

You may need to swap the wires back to establish if its in forward or reverse, switch off at mains , NOT the dial. Then swap wires back and observe direction.

Last time you switched it off it was on the reverse tumble, yes?

Have you changed the dial since???

It may well be that the timer is in reverse still!!! But as we know, it should now be in forward tumble cos we swapped the wires.

This would indicate a faulty timer!!!!!

You may need to swap the wires back to establish if its in forward or reverse, switch off at mains , NOT the dial. Then swap wires back and observe direction.

Couldn't now tell as it's not rotating in either direction but the motor spins as normal (with the power off of course); have put the wires back in the original position now, no powered rotation.

Okay, the next instalment......
I changed the wiring on the cap. and on the timer, then the drum only spins partially, but in the opposite direction.
I had changed the wiring on the timer to the opposite too.....so that shows it's not the motor, not the cap and therefore could be a relay?

Test the motor on its own.

Make a note of which side of the cap the wires go first, important.

Will probably also need to remove belt.

Disconnect motor wires, white from the plug connector and the red and black from the cap, using a plug with bare ended wiring hook up the motor.

Motor White to plug neutral (blue)

Motor Red to plug live (brown)

Then remove motor red from plug live and connect motor black to plug live (brown)

Motor should spin in opposite directions accordingly, red probably clockwise, black anticlockwise.

Be sure that no bare wires are touching any metalwork and that you are clear from the wiring.

If the motor just buzzes give the spindle a spin with your hand, if one direction doesn't do anything spin it the other way.

Test the motor as described.

It could be the relay but I would be more inclined to believe its a faulty timer.
The relay provides the neutral path and is working when in forward direction, it uses the same neutral path for the reverse too!

Lets eliminate the motor for sure before proceeding.

Just a thought, is the fan definately clear of obstruction and not bent or hitting on the heater shield preventing reverse direction.

Test the motor on its own.

Motor should spin in opposite directions accordingly, red probably clockwise, black anticlockwise.

Interesting exercise that.... no matter which way I wire the red(orange) or black, if I spin the motor prior to applying power, it runs in that direction. So it will spin clockwise or anti-clockwise under the same wiring set up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back