How best to make threaded fittings on radiator valves weep-proof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologise if these sound silly questions, but I would love some advice on making threaded fittings weep-proof.

I have 1/2" Danfoss Randall RA-G Single Pipe TRV Body which comes with a fitting which screws onto the 1" OD outlet of the TRV and screws into the radiator. (see https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/danfoss-randall-rag-single-pipe-trv-body-p-1195.html)

Q1. The fitting has a rounded conical end which mates with the chamfered outlet port of the TRV. Do I just screw it up tight? Or should I put in something like Boss White? Or can I buy a "funnel-shaped gasket" which goes between fitting and valve?

Q2. The other ended of the fitting has a tapered thread so I know what to do - use PTFE tape. I was surprised to see the thread has many small nicks in it which presumably make it work like a saw.

TRV.jpg

Q3. I am using these radiator extender tails where the thread which screws into the radiator is not tapered. Should I use a rubber or similar gasket or seal between the extender shoulder and the radiator? Or wrap the threads in PTFE, and twist the PTFE into a cord so I create something a bit like an O-ring by the shoulder? Or ...?

extender.jpg

It is probably needless to say that Q1 and Q3 are weeping - probably at the thought of my poor workmanship.

Any assistance will be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Q1. The fitting has a rounded conical end which mates with the chamfered outlet port of the TRV. Do I just screw it up tight? Or should I put in something like Boss White?
It is probably needless to say that Q1 and Q3 are weeping - probably at the thought of my poor workmanship.

Any assistance will be gratefully received.
Q 1. If you have Boss White use a thin smear of that . Q3. Get some Loctite 55 for the threads.

Q1. Use a bit of Jet Lube type paste, although it everything lines up square you can usually get away without it.
Q2. I'd use Loctite 55, it generally seals better than PTFE. The small notches in the thread are advised when using 55.
Q3. I'd carefully nick the threads with a file and use Loctite 55. Usually the radiators are not sufficiently smooth at the outside of the femal thread to allow a gasket / O ring to be used.

Nige F can type quicker than I can

Thank you both.

I suspected that. I remade the joint today with PTFE and sure enough it is still weeping. Loctite 55 here I come ...

Sponsored Links
I use gas PTFE, it's thicker than standard PTFE and ideal for these types of jobs. TBH it's an experience thing too, you know by how tight it feels going in whether it's been wound enough and if it's going to weep or not ;)

Loctite 55 has now been elevated to the status of magic whereas PTFE has been downgraded to "trump trash" :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back