How can I tell if this glass is safe ?

The cabinet doors maybe tough. They may have a ' small line stamp ' . Very close to the edge of the glass. It's used because people didn't like the big tough mark on furniture.
IF you can't see either mark , always best to assume it isn't toughened ( but it should be as it falls under the regs as a door)

I used to get small pane slimlite double glazed units done with a furniture toughening mark -the kitemark looks awful on georgian heritage windows

Sponsored Links
Sure fire way to check, chuck a hammer at it, if it breaks into cubes it's toughened, if it breaks into shards it's not, simples :LOL:

Thanks I’ll have a closer look at the kitchen cupboard door, it has a pattern border so not sure if it would have the safety mark.

Attachments

• 4BE8616E-9B4D-43E2-A3F3-CCBF9B503EC9.jpeg
    4BE8616E-9B4D-43E2-A3F3-CCBF9B503EC9.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
However if the glass within a door is less than 250mm wide and no more than 0.5m2 in a area then 6mm annealed glass will suffice
Thanks again for your advice, would this apply to the side panels also next to the door ?
They are only 19cm wide by 92 and same patterned glass as above ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back