How can someone tell how old a boiler is?

Loads of companies out there will not take them on if a certain age some as low as 7 years old.

And?
Some car insurance companies don't take you on if you are under a certain age. Others don't like you if you are over a certain age. Or not English, or European, or male.
Just pick a company that does want your business, there are hundreds of them around. And the weirdest thing is, that those companies that have the most exemptions are sometimes dearer than those who will take on everyone.

Sponsored Links
Got a problem Ben .?
You asked why he wanted to know about age as it didnt matter about age to be insured well perhaps he has chosen one that it does ,manufacturers or built into his household cover

That is exactly what I mean Nam.
A thousand companies to choose from and they all have different conditions.
If you have an old lump on the wall, why try to find out how old it is exactly so you can have it insured by a specific company? And what are you gonna do next year? Same as my ex, and lie about your age?
If you are out on the town and this particular club says: "members only", you just move on to the next, don't you?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think he is refereing to boiler breakdown insurance and most insurers wont cover if over 7 years old.
Steve

Sponsored Links
Woody, you wouldn't be working for the council by any chance would you?
Your line of asking completely pointless questions about the possible results of something that will never happen is exactly their kind of thing.

And if you don't mind me asking, how on earth can you work as a building surveyor if you don't understand the very basics about the relation between 1-dimensional, 2-dimensional, and 3-dimensional proportions?
What do you survey about buildings, the colour?

Ben, you need to take a gulp of CO and chill out a little.

With regards to my dimensional acuity, well I do mind ... how dare you ask such a personal question on an open forum? I don't even discuss spacial and dimensional issues with my wife :evil:

The question relates to something that has happened and does happen, so I don't think it is pointless. Here we go .....

Specifically, part of a report I am involved in relates to a boiler "about 10 years old" and a policy which does not cover boilers "over 10 years old". So its a borderline issue as to whether the policy applies.

As an added twist, various parts of the boiler have apparently been replaced over time, so it could be argued that effectively 75% of the boiler is much newer than 10 years - so not only how can a boiler be dated, but also what defines the original boiler?

You can identify the age of vaillant boilers as follows;

e.g serial number 210829**************

21 = UK
08=2008
29=Week 29

If it's a different manafacturer then i have no idea. :rolleyes:

With regards to my dimensional acuity, well I do mind ... how dare you ask such a personal question on an open forum? I don't even discuss spacial and dimensional issues with my wife :evil:

Probably because she would laugh at your ignorance

Apparently Breezer has decided to get a life and quit the forum. And he is a disgruntled ex-mod to boot!

Not such a big exit as the soft-head bloke, more of a sneaking out while no-one was looking :rolleyes:

Sounds pretty personal to me

Consider a plastic bottle, filled with water.

It is squeezed and a some water comes out. The internal volume is reduced.

And yet the [internal] surface area of the bottle is not reduced - it is not stretched or contracted, the same amount of plastic skin should be able to contain the same volume, and yet it does not.

So why is this?

Looks pretty public to me

Also, consider a piece of string on a flat desk.

Join the two ends together, and then whatever shape you make, the internal area will always be the same.

So, using this principle for the internal area of the bottle, then why does volume change if the area of the material containing the volume does not change?

And another public display of lack of insight in areas where one would expect a building surveyor to know how to calculate volume and area.
I think I was about 12 when I mastered these things

I had a lay in, didn't get up til eleven, make coffee, drink it and before you know it........

Benjamin

That question regarding area, volume and perimeter, is not about how to calculate areas, volumes and perimeters is it?

Put your glasses on and have another read.

Its a philosophical question asking why does area or volume change when the amount of enclosing material does not change (ie the perimeter)

If you can't even read, there is not much hope when your're working on a gas appliance is there? :rolleyes:

And you really need to get a sense of humour check - where you that archetypal grumpy gasman I met on a job a few weeks ago? LOL

Benjamin

That question regarding area, volume and perimeter, is not about how to calculate areas, volumes and perimeters is it?

Its a philosophical question asking why does area or volume change when the amount of enclosing material does not change (ie the perimeter)

It may be philosophical to you, it is child's play to me. It is not so much a matter that you can't do it, you have absolutely not the slightest idea of how it sticks together.
How can you say I have no sense of humour, I howled with laughter when I read that a building surveyor truly believes that the volume of a body is related to the surface of it, or the surface or an area defined by the sum of its sides.

Speaking of a sense humour, I nearly pi33ed myself when you defended it as a perfectly normal question.
I have things I don't understand about string-theory, but those are quite different strings, and you will never see them on a table.

You ARE right in one respect though, it wasn't about how to calculate things, it is about the sheer incompetence of some people working in the public sector. Make that: sheer incompetence of A LOT of people working in the public sector.

Your'e so funny Benjamin.

We'll probably have to continue this another time, but you are so far up your own r's, I'd have to meet you by your tonsils.

moon.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back