How do DIY Kitchens compare to Howdens Kitchens?

Sponsored Links
The carcasses might look similar but they're not, howdens are built with denser chipboard, try cutting it and see.
Also there's no comparison with the doors, especially the most sold wrapped slabs. I left a chipped door in the garden for a couple of years and it was still ok.
When you say denser chipboard do you mean howdens use MDF or the other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny so when you say denser chipboard do you mean howdens use MDF or the other stuff. Isn't there three types of chipboard the weakest being "chipboard" or low density chipboard that cheap light furniture is made of then isn't there a medium density fibre board and then the heaviest and strongest is MDF?
Mdf is medium density fibreboard.
Chipboards are made of wood chips packed up together with resin so to stay together.
Some chipboards are better than others, denser and heavier.
When you cut it you feel the difference compared to cheaper, lighter chipboards.
Howdens use a 18mm chipboard, melanine faced for their carcasses and they're ready built.
You won't believe how much time that saves.
Also, howdens carcasses have a solid 12mm or 15mm back chipboard, while the diy from b&q or wickes have a 3.5mm mdf panel which pops off as soon as a pan is pushed against it.
When I had to fit such kitchens I would ask the customer to
1. Send me an email confirming that they understood the fragility of these back boards and accepted full responsibility for it
Or
2. Pay me to re-inforce them so they won't pop off.
20200129_142101.jpg

Mdf is medium density fibreboard. Chipboards are made of wood chips packed up together with resin so to stay together.
Some chipboards are better than others, denser and heavier. When you cut it you feel the difference compared to cheaper, lighter chipboards.
Howdens use a 18mm chipboard, melanine faced for their carcasses and they're ready built.
Would you say that's good quality chipboard?

Sponsored Links
What's the quality of the chipboard on the back of the Howdens carcass is it as good as MDF would you say?
I wouldn't class mdf as a strong material, especially in places where it can get wet.
A good quality chipboard would be better.
Howdens backboard is 12 or 15mm chipboard, same material as the carcasses. They don't need re-inforcement
I hope your customer johnny appreciate the rarity of this level of care and attention! Many chaps wouldn't give a monkeys and as soon as the jobs done and moneys in they forget about it and are off to the next customer. It's nice to see someone appreciate what a quality job is.

In the above picture I take it that's a cheapo B&Q or similar and the inside piece of wood is there back and you've made a superior back using sterlingboard. Are you now going to glue the sterlingboard to the back of the MDF panel that came with the carcass

I'm officially retired now and only take jobs when I know the customers.
They're the kind who don't mind to pay for quality workmanship despite being on a budget.
I can save them money in the long run.
In the pictures you see a cheap b&q end of line cabinet which the customer paid peanuts for (£7.50).
I couldn't blame them for it.
All the cabinets came to less than £100, although I had to slice 6 of them from 800 to 600.
I don't glue the sterling board, i put a couple of screws, especially on the sink cabinet.
If in 20 years time they have a leak and the thin mdf panel is damaged, screws off and panel replaced in half hour (or even sterling board painted.
Are all Wickes kitchens flatpack or do they have any factory made as complete units and are Wickes kitchens better than B&Q or similar? I've heard that one of the problems with B&Q is the doors are poor performers
Wickes and b&q are very similar.
The standard slab wrapped doors seem to be better at b&q, however, I have dismantled 15 year old wickes kitchens and the doors were fine.
I suppose it's how you treat them.
I passed on some jobs in which the kitchen was covered by an inch of grease, so I suppose whatever doors were there, would be rotten.
How old is the house that you're working in as I see they've got plastic plumbing? Is it a new build?
It's a 1930 terraced house.
New plumbing was installed prior to us fitting the kitchen at the beginning of the year.
One of my loyal customers worth coming out of retirement for.
They make good tea and coffee and provide biscuits and cakes

DIY kitchens are NOT B&Q - aka. diy.com. DIY is based up north and from the comparison I have done provide a better quality product than Howdens (I’ve had kitchens from both, and have no issue with either). But £ for £ DIY are better. I asked Howdens to better the price on my last kitchen and they only came down to 5% higher, but with a foil wrapped door instead of sprayed. Like for like they didn’t come close. DIY units have more variety and have a rigid back.

Are Benchmarx units made in the factory and shipped ready assembled or are they flat packed units?

I've just bought a DIYK kitchen, overall the quality of the cabinets is good, the doors (solid wood, painted) are very well made better than the Howdens ones I looked at, I will post pics if anyone wants any.

A few items had been damaged in transit, and have reported so we'll see how this is responded to next week.

I had no satisfaction with Howdens regarding costs, and it was nearly double the DIYK bill.

I've just bought a DIYK kitchen, overall the quality of the cabinets is good, the doors (solid wood, painted) are very well made better than the Howdens ones I looked at, I will post pics if anyone wants any. A few items had been damaged in transit, and have reported so we'll see how this is responded to next week. I had no satisfaction with Howdens regarding costs, and it was nearly double the DIYK bill.
Did you buy from Howdens as a trade customer?

I have a trade account, but not a regular user.

Wasn’t just about the cost, as I preferred the Howdens doors... but I don’t like the exaggerated prices then discounts.

DIYK to their credit, so far, have been efficient and on time, we’ll see how they are on fixing the wrongs.

I have a trade account, but not a regular user. Wasn’t just about the cost, as I preferred the Howdens doors... but I don’t like the exaggerated prices then discounts.
DIYK to their credit, so far, have been efficient and on time, we’ll see how they are on fixing the wrongs.
I've heard it said that Howdens can have large price variations

Probably true.

The last time their 'sale' was on... I quizzed the kitchen designer who told me, they don't like reducing the price of cabinets, and firstly will reduce the appliances, then worktops... as I wasn't buying either of these, maybe that's why the price seemed high.

Saying all this, I can't be doing with the faff. I'd prefer to be able to cost it there and then and make a decision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back