How do I change a plug?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

No, I'm not simply changing one for another...

I've purchased a toaster with a TYPE A plug attached to it

And I want to change it to a 3-pin UK plug.

But when I cut off the TYPE A plug, the two wires aren't colour coded, so I've no way of knowing which is live and which isn't. How can I find out?

I figured I had a 50% change of getting it correct so I just fitted a 3-pin plug with a 13amp fuse and guessed and plugged it in. The toaster worked so I assume I had got it right.

However, the toaster elements appeared to glow much too fiercely and hot for a toaster, so I assume there is still a problem. What am I doing wrong? Is the fuse incorrect? Have I wired it incorrectly?

Now PLEASE! Before anyone replies, DO NOT reply with stupid, sarcastic comments, don't tell me to call an electrician, don't tell me not to attempt anything unless I know what I'm doing etc. etc. etc. Any of those comments which don't actually offer advice, will be ignored.

Please ONLY post helpful, useful comments.

Sponsored Links
Is that an american plug?

Have a look for the rating plate on the toaster. It will probably be on the bottom of the appliance.

What does it say on there?

I'll bet there was a black and a white wire.

However, that toaster is designed for 110 volts. The voltage in this country is 230 volts. You are running it at more than DOUBLE its rated voltage. Please cease this or your house will burn down.

Sponsored Links
If the toaster has that plug it is almost certainly designed for arround 110-120V (american voltage) running it on 240V will result in it running at FOUR TIMES the power it's designed for.

While I doubt it will cause a fire it is likely to burn out pretty quickly running at so far over it's design power.

If you really want to use it in the UK you will need to get a suitable transformer but frankly it's probablly cheaper to get a new toaster.

Correct it's American (though it says made in China) and it runs at 120V. The wires definitely weren't colour coded at all. Just two copper wires in black plastic flex.

So how I can use this in the UK? How can I reduce the volts it receives? I thought a UK plug and fuse would protect it, though obviously it doesn't.

No it doesn't, because a UK plug and fuse cannot tell if an appliance is being run at 4 times its rated power, similar to they cant tell if there is a smouldering loose connection. They have their limitations.

How did you come about this toaster? How much did you pay?

You would need a suitably rated transformer, and they are likely to cost in excess of a new toaster.

I expect you have stripped the cable back poorly, removing the inner cores insulation along with the flex which is why you see only copper stranded conductors, I would say the cores would be coloured black and white.

Time for a new toaster ;)

It doesn't matter how much I paid for the toaster.

What I want to know is how I can use it in the UK?

And how can a transformer cost more than the toaster? I've seen them for £8.95

ahhh, attractive brunette, its you again! :LOL: The one that tried to wire her electric hob in 1mm² flex! ;) Sorry, we cant forget something like that! :cool:

Home > Electrical Supplies > Industrial > Site Distribution
110V Accessories 3kVA Transformer IP44. Overload protection and corrosion-resistant enclosure. 2m input lead.
IP44 Splashproof
2M Input Lead
close review
£61.85

Enlarge Image

Quote No: 16158
Pack Prices (inc. VAT) Quantity
£61.85 - -
Screwfix

It doesn't matter how much I paid for the toaster.

What I want to know is how I can use it in the UK?

You would need a suitably rated transformer, and they are likely to cost in excess of a new toaster

You'll require a 240v-120v transformer capable of supplying the current rating of the toaster.
That will not be cheap!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back