How do you like your steak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, if you don't eat steak and/or meat in general, this question isn't for you :) And please, I don't want this thread descending into any arguments about why eating meat is bad for the environment, animal welfare etc.

I've been sitting watching some vids on YT that involve eating steak, eating challenges and the like. Often you hear people on these vids and in day to day life saying the only way to order and enjoy a steak is to ask for it medium rare.

This has always puzzled me as I prefer my steak well done. I get it's each to their own, however medium rare is evidently thought of as the best level of 'done' so I'd be interested to know how you guys order or fry yours at home?

Sponsored Links
Well done for the flavour.
Same with all my meat having eaten it medium for years having been told that's the best way but it's not..
Cooked basically all the way through.
Yum.
Have it how you like it ignoring others advice. What's best for you?

Mince picks up bacteria on the outside then gets mixed in. So burgers should be cooked all the way through it is said.
Steak don't need cooking all the way though

medium rare, but i often ask, for closer to rare - however, some rare in the past have not even seen the pan, hence why i tend to go for medium rare.

Thats steak, with anything minced , like beefburger , i have medium/well done, I think medium is now the lowest they can provide now anyway

As all mince is exposed to outside , unlike a steak

Sponsored Links
Medium cooked slowly so the heat goes all the way through and cooks the innermost parts as well. When my wife cooks steak, (we usually have rib eye), she does it this way and it's always done beautifully.
Strangely we were talking about the way people cook meats as she was cooking a big family dinner. My wife will ALWAYS use a thermometer to check the centre of any meat has reached the minimum temperature. A lot of people work on the rule of thumb which says 20mins per pound plus 20 at the end. However, that is in an oven which has already reached it's cooking temperature but most people start the timing when they turn the oven on and immediately put the meat in.
Sausages. How do you like them? Fairly raw, medium or well done? Some of the 'well done' ones are flash fried which gives them the look of being cooked but are actually still below the required temperature in the middle. Medium, (or in some cases even rawish looking), cooked slowly to allow the heat to penetrate is usually the much better way to cook them.

My wife will ALWAYS use a thermometer to check the centre of any meat has reached the minimum temperature
we always do that , also on BBQ's as well, made a huge difference to the quality of the BBQ meat.
i also have a 4 thermometer unit , i use when cooking a joint or smoking a joint

Started doing this around 2017 , made a huge difference to food, never overcooked , "just to be safe"
have various temperatures for the type of meat and how we want the meat finished

IMG-20220329-WA0009.jpeg
On the subject of steak, I bought these on Monday in Asda. I always thought I liked steak well done but I've had a lot of steak cooking practice this week and I've changed my mind.
The first one I cooked was a wee bit pink in the middle and very tender. The next two nights there was no pink and although they were very nice, I think I preferred the pinkish one.
Although, if I ordered one in a restaurant I would ask for it to be well done for fear of them giving me something that says mooo when I cut it.
Eiit; I only ate three as I gave two to my neighbour.

MR for sirloin or ribeye

R for fillet

edit:
Raw for tartare

I actually don't like the taste of WD.

Some restaurant chefs put the inferior steaks aside for punters who ask for WD, on the grounds that they won't be able to taste the difference.

Incidentally, I also don't like the taste of vacuum packed steak, it promotes liverish flavours, though I believe not everyone can taste it.

Last edited:
I used to like my steaks very well done.

If it still bleeding, especially where it's got a heartbeat & a good vet could get it back on its feet, then I'd either throw up or storm the kitchen & murder the chef.

Then I had my perfect steak cooked by an award winning chef/butcher.

Now I can eat a steak that is cooked just beyond blood red juice yet still retains a little redness in the meat.

I don't know what you'd call that, but my chef/butcher is the only one whose steak I can eat if there's any red anywhere on the plate.

Medium, cooked to 130° in the centre, very easy to do time after time. Any blood showing is wrong and cooked by an idiot.

Two from Friday night,

GetAttachmentThumbnail

A good ribeye very rare is perfection for me. I’ve spent a lot of time learning and practicing how to cook a very good steak, and if I say so myself, I’m quite good at it.

A fast response cooking thermometer is essential if you want to get your steak right, every time.

As my father in law used to say when asked how he would like his steak (much to Mrs Motties embarrassment), "Pull the horns and wipe the arse". I sometimes say it myself when asked, just to keep the memory alive.

Sponsored Links
Back