How do you like your steak?

Sponsored Links
Medium rare. Although if you ask for the same in France it may be a little undercooked for our liking.

My missus has bought some Tomahawk steaks and they are darn thick. Still not sure what to do with them but it will have to involve the oven. I don't let the missus anywhere near (cooking) steaks.

Sponsored Links
French and Italian cooking is revered the world over and rightly so. And it's not especially the big swanky posh restaurants either. The quality is good from top to bottom. The rural back villages will provide amazing meals cooked with care and pride and interest in what the end product tastes like.

When I cook a steak I press it with a spatula to see how its coming along.
I do mine roughly like this but without the herbs and garlic. Not cooking them straight from the fridge and letting them rest after cooking is essential. Butter does make a difference too.

I do mine roughly like this but without the herbs and garlic.
Moi aussi. I used to struggle with the butter burning especially when doing the sauce after. I have found the balance now with the quantities (oil v's butter).

I oil the steak rather than the pan. I find that stops any smoking.

Last edited:
It depends on the cut. The better the meat, the less cooking I like. It tastes better and the texture is better.

My missus has bought some Tomahawk steaks and they are darn thick. Still not sure what to do with them but it will have to involve the oven. I don't let the missus anywhere near (cooking) steaks.
Look up reverse sear. Tomahawk steaks are too thick to pan fry or grill in the normal way.

I stopped eating red meat a few years ago for health reasons, not for any moral issue, but if i could enjoy a nice juicy steak tonight it'd have to be well done, even a little burned around the edges. A drizzle of Worcester Sauce and a few thick cut chips and chestnut mushrooms to help it along.
Berni Inn used to do a really good black pepper steak...
Ahhh, happy memories.:)

I like a decently thick Rib-Eye, seasoned well with rock salt and grilled to a rare / medium rare, finished in butter, with a large grilled mushroom, mash potato, haggis, fried onions and I can vary on the sauce... peppercorn, red wine jus, hollandaise, even a blue cheese is sometimes nice.

Some restaurant chefs put the inferior steaks aside for punters who ask for WD, on the grounds that they won't be able to taste the difference.
My mates wife has to have her steak cremated. Once, when we were in a decent restaurant when on holiday, three couples all opted for the Chateaubriand. Of course, she asked for theirs to be 'well done'. The waiter looked at her like she was mad. The chef even came and checked that was what she wanted. Their one came up like a charred sole of a boot. She enjoyed it, her husband was 'disappointed'. We still laugh about it. We've had Chateaubriand a few times since when we've been out. Mrs Mottie is not a real steak lover so she has something else, Mrs charred steak has...a charred steak and me and my mate have the Chateaubriand between us! When we order it, one of us will always say to the waiter "We're not a couple!".

I recall sirloin steak being 5 pounds a pound a good 35 years ago. If the prices had kept up with inflation I guess it would be around 20 quid. Thankfully, the cows are much bigger now so it's actually a lot cheaper but I'm a fish and chicken man red meats only through pies/etc, lol

Sponsored Links
Back