How do you wire LED Bathroom Mirror with Motion Sensor & Demister

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Step one is to find out if the lighting supply is suitable. So is there an RCD on the lighting supply already? No where on instructions does it state size of demister, likely it is very small, but you don't want the mirror tripping the lights. And since in a bathroom likely it will need notifying under part P building regulations which are not universal across the UK and you have not said where you live.

The fact you have asked the question points to you not having the knowledge and skill required, so may be better to find a scheme member electrician.

As Eric has stated, you’ll need a permanent LNE feed, usually taken from a lighting circuit. This must be RCD protected as we are bringing mains voltages into a bathroom.

You really need a registered electrician to do this for you. That’s what the instructions say. But don’t trust all of the instructions

Bathstore have invented a Zone 2 round the sink, where no such zone exists!

085EB0A2-CB00-4D74-8E69-56EFD233F2E9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In my bathroom a feed was taken off the main bathroom light. If you have a loft it can be fairly straightforward to run the cable across to the wall.

Don't wish to hijack this, but am I right that the RCD bathroom requirement was introduced in the 17th, and that similar cabling done prior to 2007 would not be subject to the RCD requirement?

Sponsored Links
Yes you are right. Manufacturers instructions wrong again.

can anyone explain the wiring process in terms of taking power from a light switch please ;)

the lighting is RCD protected. Also, don't worry, I have some bathroom fitters who are taking care of the wiring, I would just like to know the general process of taking power from a light (or even a socket) to things such as lighted mirrors

It depends on how your lighting system is wired. You'll need neutral, live (switched and/or permanent depending on your mirror) and an earth.

Not all of those are always present at light switches, and sometimes not at a light.

So, not a simple answer. Get your head round how they could be wired,
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Circuit-layouts
and have a look at your own situation, and the process may become clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back