How do you work out the size of a pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
ive got a leaky pipe (see other posts) but am looking to get a new stop tap.

how do you work out the size of a pipe?

(i measured the circumfrence which was 53mm which gave me a diameter of 17mm which made me think i need a 15mm stop tap. bought it but its length is 3/4" too short)

Sponsored Links
ive just thought. my house is a 50s house so the pipes are probably in imperial measure. Are the current sizes and pre decimalisation sizes the same?

what matereial is the pipe made from, also try and mesure the pipe with a veriner gauge 1/2" copper is the same as 15mm - 3/4" copper is not quite the same as 22mm but you can buy a 3/4" olive to put into a 22mm stopcock ;)

its copper. just looked at the stop tap and its got 1/2 stamped on it but its bigger and chunkier than the 15mm ones ive seen.

i did think the pipe size looked about right but ive still got a stop tap thats 3/4" too short.

Plan C is to put a blank nut where ive got a leak as the supply is not used - im assuming i dont need an olive for that.

additional - just been googling and discovered that its probably an old 1/2" BSP stop tap

Sponsored Links
Sorry Charnwood, 1/2" copper is not 16mm, most if not all '15mm' fittings can be persuaded to fit with minimal intervention.

To the OP, can you upload a photo of both the original stop-tap and the replacement one you bought?

DH

Sorry Charnwood, 1/2" copper is not 16mm, most if not all '15mm' fittings can be persuaded to fit with minimal intervention.
If it has to be persuaded then it is not 15mm. 1/2" imperial copper is, so I've been led to believe for 40 years, aproximately 15.8mm, as close to 16mm as damnit. Some compression manufacturers - Conex, for one - did 16 x 15mm couplers as adaptors.

I might be wrong, but..... ;)

If it has to be persuaded then it is not 15mm. 1/2" imperial copper is, so I've been led to believe for 40 years, aproximately 15.8mm, as close to 16mm as damnit. Some compression manufacturers - Conex, for one - did 16 x 15mm couplers as adaptors.

I might be wrong, but..... ;)

1/2 in converted to mm = 12.7 mm (internal diameter)
outside diameter of 1/2in copper = 0.625in

0.625in converted to mm
= 15.8mm

so no, you are not ;)

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back