How does hive ACTUALLY work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've searched a lot for the answer to this question, so I thought I'd open it up here to see if anyone know how Hive actually works.

I already have a Hive hub, and I'm now planning on using hive to control my heating. I only need to control heating as hot water is on demand (i.e there's no hot water tank).

So the question is, what's the difference between me buying a "Hive Active Heating kit" and buying a "Hive Multizone" - both contain a single channel receiver and a thermostat and I can't find anywhere that explains what (if any) difference there is other than the first on also containing a hub.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The kit is just that, a bundle of different devices including the multizone thermostat.

Whoever came up with the idea must be rolling in it. Charging £100+ for a glorified wifi switch and thermostat is pretty impressive.

The kit is just that, a bundle of different devices including the multizone thermostat.

Whoever came up with the idea must be rolling in it. Charging £100+ for a glorified wifi switch and thermostat is pretty impressive.

So, I'm right in my thinking that I should just be able to buy a multizone kit (or a single channel receiver and thermostat) instead?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hive multizone is for when you have 2 or more heating zones, ie , upstairs & downstairs. You'd be better off asking in the heating & plumbing section as hive/nest questions are common in there.

Thanks, yes I understand that, but the receiver and thermostat appear to be identical in both kits. I'll post in the other section anyway. Thanks again.

There is a critical difference between the single channel and dual channel Hive receivers,

The single has a dry contact ( volt free ) change over, The common has to be connected to a voltage source from the boiler.

The dual has two change overs with the commons connected internally in the receiver to the Live.

The dual receiver cannot be used to switch a 24 volt control ciruit to the boiler

0x56.jpg

Doesn't Hive use a server in the cloud instead of a local control, and didn't it go off a few times a while back leaving people with no heating?

Thanks, yes I understand that, but the receiver and thermostat appear to be identical in both kits.
As far as the heating is concerned the Hive is just a switch - on or off.

As for how you can operate it, like most things these days, it is a computor and as such the external appearance has no relationship with its internal workings.

Sponsored Links
Back