How much would these jobs cost to do from a home buyer report ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to buy a home and have had a buyers report done which has thrown up some work to be done , we can't decide if it's still worth to go ahead with the purchase so any rough estimate for the jobs at end will be very helpful thank you .
  • Damp around rear door and back wall due to garden being higher than door , need a channel drain or lowering of garden ?

• 3 lintels need replacing , 1968 steel type so will all need doing eventually
  • Distribution box not been changed for 50 years possible rewire too?
  • Ground concrete floor in living room bulging up .
  • Moss needs cleaning from roof , soffits and drain pipes gutters etc need replacing
  • All radiators need changing to more modern double ones .
  • Kitchen small so would like to remove supporting dining room wall

Can't think of anything else at the moment , the surveyor couldn't access to the garage to check the boiler ..

Sponsored Links
  • 3 lintels need replacing , 1968 steel type so will all need doing eventually
  • Distribution box not been changed for 50 years possible rewire too?
  • Ground concrete floor in living room bulging up .
  • Moss needs cleaning from roof , soffits and drain pipes gutters etc need replacing
  • All radiators need changing to more modern double ones .
  • Kitchen small so would like to remove supporting dining room wa
In Fact .you are the full on comedian.

I know it's possible to give a actual estimate , but someone with years of experience in the trade must know a rough idea what it would cost for all that , I mean a very rough ball park figure .

Sponsored Links
Making a drain channel in unpaved garden on a 10 metre run (semi detached?) Would be around £300/400.
Lower the garden depends on garden size.
Let's call it 25m2 (5×5) and lowered by 6/7 inches would be around £700/800.
This is all in my money, many might charge more or less accordingly to their trade model.

Don't do electric, so sparks required.

Lintels... difficult to say without seeing but in my experience old internal steel ones don't go wrong.

Concrete floor bulging could be trouble.
Maybe there's a root from a big tree pushing everything up and that would be a disaster, or simply concrete was never levelled correctly in the first place which is something i see very often in older properties.

Cleaning moss from roof, again assuming sizes of semi, around £400.

Wall out in kitchen and rsj put in I would budget £2k, always subjected to inspection.

Radiators changing: ask a plumber.

Good luck.

Let's call it 25m2 (5×5) and lowered by 6/7 inches would be around £700/800.

I think you might be a bit low on that price, the spoil would be 9 sq metres -so prob 2 skips if no muckaway access, then digger hire and labour

Op, don't mind some poor souls here trying to hijack every thread without contributing.

Just to use maths that on this planet is not an opinion:
25m2x0.17m (over 6 inches) depth=4.25m3
That's less than a 6 yarder skip @ £220 + labour = 2 labourers @ £120/day = £240
Total cost £440 + profit and there you are on target for the £700/800.

No digger needed on a small job like this.
To hire one, add £250/day and cut off one labourer, still on target.

Op, don't mind some poor souls here trying to hijack every thread without contributing.
No need to put yourself down like that.Quoting random numbers in the mistaken belief it helps,instead you help people stay deluded.

New consumer unit say £1k

Complete rewrite say £5k

Soffits and drain pipes £2.5k

Lintel £1k

New concrete floor £2k

Damp.....who knows let's say £3k

So in the region of £15 to £20 all in. Poss lot less.

Bear in mind some items are faults which should be accounted for the price, some are improvements.

Just to use maths that on this planet is not an opinion:
25m2x0.17m (over 6 inches) depth=4.25m3
That's less than a 6 yarder skip @ £220 + labour = 2 labourers @ £120/day = £240
Total cost £440 + profit and there you are on target for the £700/800.

No digger needed on a small job like this.
To hire one, add £250/day and cut off one labourer, still on target.
You assume costs are linear,assume garden,depth reduction sizes.of no use whats so ever..why not tell him his household bill and travel costs too...When you have no idea about them either!

Plus if the wiring is 50 years old, could you imagine the plumbing/heating system.

Sponsored Links
Back