How much!!

Sure, but you try being the ***hole who tells the customer that no, they can't have it at that surprisingly low price. It's not worth the aggro and the potential bad publicity. Better to just avoid the "sale" in the first place.
Maybe, but my point was that it's often going to be pretty moot, because I suspect that the supplier is not going to detect their error untilit is (in 'reasonable' terms) too late for them to do anything about it.

Particularly in these days of often very rapid (e.g. 'next day') delivery, it's very likely that a supplier will have 'accepted the order', accepted payment and very possibly despatched the goods before anyone notices the mistake. Once one has got to that point, I would say that, at least for a commercial supplier, it's too late' for them to try to ''backtrack'!

When it's a non-commercial seller, there may be a need for decency/humanity to come into the equation. A few years ago, someone who turned out to be an elderly lady with no previous experience of selling on eBay listed a 'niche item' of substantial value on eBay but made the mistake of not including a 'starting bid' or reserve. Anticipating 'competition', I entered a fairly substantial 'bid'. However, it turned out that it was so 'niche' that no-one else bid, so I ended up 'winning the auction' at a price of 50p. When I discovered the circumstances, I eventually paid her what I regarded as a 'reasonable amount' (albeit less than my 'substantial bid'. However, I probably would not have done that if it were a 'significant commercial seller' I was dealing with.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Maybe, but my point was that it's often going to be pretty moot, because I suspect that the supplier is not going to detect their error untilit is (in 'reasonable' terms) too late for them to do anything about it.

Particularly in these days of often very rapid (e.g. 'next day') delivery, it's very likely that a supplier will have 'accepted the order', accepted payment and very possibly despatched the goods before anyone notices the mistake. Once one has got to that point, I would say that, at least for a commercial supplier, it's too late' for them to try to ''backtrack'!

When it's a non-commercial seller, there may be a need for decency/humanity to come into the equation. A few years ago, someone who turned out to be an elderly lady with no previous experience of selling on eBay listed a 'niche item' of substantial value on eBay but made the mistake of not including a 'starting bid' or reserve. Anticipating 'competition', I entered a fairly substantial 'bid'. However, it turned out that it was so 'niche' that no-one else bid, so I ended up 'winning the auction' at a price of 50p. When I discovered the circumstances, I eventually paid her what I regarded as a 'reasonable amount' (albeit less than my 'substantial bid'. However, I probably would not have done that if it were a 'significant commercial seller' I was dealing with.

Kind Regards, John
It's so weird how some of these situations arise.
I once purchased a 20W UHF PA slab at a radio rally for £10. It was rated at 440-450MHz but the vendor assured me they worked down to 420MHz. I built my linear amp, incredibly simple couple of coax sockets and relays and decoupling capacitors built into a pre-used extruded enclosure (car phone unit). In a nut shell it didn't work and a phone call to the vendor took some persuading that I'd done everything correctly but he sent a replacement.
While liberating the faulty slab from the enclosure the gold plating on the signal input pin slipped off the pin, leaving behind a very mucky deposit. Fitted the new slab and it worked a treat.
I cleaned the 'faulty pin' and swapped the 2 slabs to find it worked as predicted.

At that point I decided to make a second linear amp but this time including a pre-amp and mains PSU to run the amp and the tranceiver.

Knowing the vendor was a fellow radio Ham who was trying to make a few bob buying and selling surplus components and producing transverter kits I wrote a note explaining the failure and posted it with a cheque. It felt like the right thing to do.

Some months later I needed something from him in a hurry , a phone call had him putting it in the post that day and it arrived the following day, the cheque crossed in the post. After assembling the kit and packing the van, early the following day we drove to Wales for a 2 week holiday which included VHF field day.

The thing that really shook me was the way he spotted my badge at the next rally and made a big fuss.

He did grow and make a go of the business for a number of years until the bottom fell out of the construction part of the hobby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back