How small is too small for bedrooms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a very nice family home which we are about to do some work on before we move in, however too much white wine on valentines day and we find we will be needing an extra bedroom come November..

I was thinking of dividing the back bedroom up, taking just over a metre off the width leaving that rooms dimension as 3.33 m x 2.1 m, taking a bit off the bathroom leaving that room as 2.4mx 2.15m, and this would leave a little room in the middle of about 2.38m x 2m.

Do these sound too small? I'm not too worried about bathroom size as we can get what we want in there, but what do you think of the bedroom sizes?
I had to share growing up and I detested it, and I would've slept in a cupboard if we had any spare!
Are these rooms too cupboardy?
The children will be 4 and 2, and we have a larger room at the front of the house, so when the new baby gets bigger it can have the tiny room and one of the older children will get to move to the biggest room at the front.

Opinions/ experiences welcome!
GB

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is a legal requirement with regards to size under Building Regs for homeowners but, having done lots of work for a letting agency there are rules for rental properties (might be worth you asking in BR part of the forum for confirmation :confused: ).

I think it is a floor space of around 6.8m² for ½ persons (children to us normal people) and around 10m² for adults. I'm pretty sure each must also have a window.

This is just based on what I understand the situation to be so might be incorrect or no longer valid.

I don't think there is a legal requirement with regards to size under Building Regs for homeowners but, having done lots of work for a letting agency there are rules for rental properties (might be worth you asking in BR part of the forum for confirmation :confused: ).

I think it is a floor space of around 6.8m² for ½ persons (children to us normal people) and around 10m² for adults. I'm pretty sure each must also have a window.

This is just based on what I understand the situation to be so might be incorrect or no longer valid.
Eh? No idea what area rules you're on about in terms of letting law.

It must have a window and background ventilation and adequate escape provision to legally be classed as a bedroom though ie those parts must conform to the Building Regs.

Eh? No idea what area rules you're on about in terms of letting law.

Like I said, just as I understand it.

When landlords have asked if certain sized rooms can be classed as bedrooms, the agents say they have to measure up and quote those floor space requirements (not entirely sure if I've got the measurements accurate).
I presume it is something to do with being able to enter and exit a bed safely, but don't know for sure. :confused:

EDIT:
Could be something to do with overcrowding or more likely the agents looking to get the property let a bit easier by keeping the rent down!

Sponsored Links
Aha, just done a quick search and found this :

http://www.privatehousinginformation.co.uk/site/files/LHMO room size standards.pdf

Phew, was beginning to think I'd dreamt it all - several times! :LOL:
No that's HMO's not private rented accommodation for a single occupancy or family. Besides he doesn't even say he wants to rent it anyway.

@ the OP I'd be looking to do a semi permanent partition ie one that can be demounted in the future without too much disruption.

They are not renting it, just for their children, as long as you can get a single bed in there that's all you need worry about, some box rooms don't even take a single, my granddaughters room has a 3/4 size bed because it's too small for a full size.

Besides he doesn't even say he wants to rent it anyway.

I never said he did if you refer back to my original post but was just pointing out that there are rules for certain situations.

You said you didn't know of them so I made the effort to show you - I won't bother in future! :rolleyes:

It's not my fault if the letting agency I've worked for quote these rules but, as I said initially, they could've been wrong.

You said you didn't know of them so I made the effort to show you - I won't bother in future! :rolleyes:
I am well aware of the rules for HMO's but this is not an HMO. No need to get upset Poppit.

Fair enough, but if you'd pointed out those measurements were for HMO's in your first post you could have clarified things much quicker and not made me :cry: !

;)

Thanks everyone! Think we will go for it as we are planning to convert the rest of the loft by the time they are teenagers and can shove them and all their stuff out of sight up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back