How to become an electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a 29yr old guy who really wants to become an electrician I have wanted to become one for over 2 years now. The job centre keeps on telling me to drop that idea, telling me that I'm too old. It is a job I think I would really enjoy and would like very much to make into a career. Since the job centre is not helping me on this, does anyone have any pointers as to how to get into the trade or are there any electricians in the Glasgow area looking for an 'old' apprentice? :D The whole minimum wage thing is not important to me, I just want the opportunity to start a job I can be proud of.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
You could start by looking for a City and Guilds course at your local college, think one of the forum members did the C&G2330 parts 1+2 and has just started working with a company gaining practical experience.
You'll need to get your skates on for enrolment this year!!

Hi, I'm a 29yr old guy who really wants to become an electrician I have wanted to become one for over 2 years now. The job centre keeps on telling me to drop that idea, telling me that I'm too old. It is a job I think I would really enjoy and would like very much to make into a career. Since the job centre is not helping me on this, does anyone have any pointers as to how to get into the trade or are there any electricians in the Glasgow area looking for an 'old' apprentice? :D The whole minimum wage thing is not important to me, I just want the opportunity to start a job I can be proud of.
Any advice would be appreciated!

You could phone/write to some of the bigger companies, Glendale or EM mackenzie for example and ask them if they're looking for anyone, if you show your keen they might take a chance on you

Hey Aldo, 29 you are but a spring chicken.

I started 2330 when I was 34 (in 2007) I have just completed 2330 level 1,2, and 3!!! & 17th Edition, 48 weeks 2 evenings a week.

Have now set up my own business (slow at the moment)

So next time you're down the job exchange tell them they are a bag of sh1te!!!

Go to your local college this week, sign up for 2330 and enjoy it

(Oh and be prepared to dig deep)!!!

BOL

Sponsored Links
Started 2330 3 years ago.

2391 beginning of this year.

17th in Sept.

I'm 48.

And after been made redundant in July - working in a call centre.

I was 35 when I started doing my 2330.... same route as oharaf doing two evenings a week at my local college. Finished year 3 this June, did my 17th two weeks ago and got my NICEIC domestic installer assessment this friday :confused:

To do all 3 years of 2330 and the 17th etc etc does cost though, I estimate I've spent £2.5k on courses so far but its a good skill to have and always in demand

I was 35 when I started doing my 2330.... same route as oharaf doing two evenings a week at my local college. Finished year 3 this June, did my 17th two weeks ago and got my NICEIC domestic installer assessment this friday :confused:

To do all 3 years of 2330 and the 17th etc etc does cost though, I estimate I've spent £2.5k on courses so far but its a good skill to have and always in demand

I take my hat off to you guys.

Good luck on Friday.

Aldo, the job centre dont know Jack shoot.

I bailed out of the IT (sales) stuff at age 52 and did 3 years at night school doing the old 2360 (now 2330).
During the day I worked as a self-employed electrician and learnt the job, the hard way, working mostly on my own.

This was pre Part P but not so much of an issue for you as you're living in a civilised bit of the UK.

You'll have a hard time finding someone to fund your education so I suggest you get yourself on a 2330 night school course and try and find a job as a sparky's mate with someone. By taking the initiative it will show you're prepared to go for it. Who knows, they may pay for years 2 & 3 if you make yourself useful...

onto 3rd year 2330 now did 17th and pat a while ago, start 2391 in sept and cosidering carrying on with hnc next year and im 38.

you could always do a one week domestic installer followed by partp for quick entry, but dont think that is best route.

(quick note, if you are in reciept of jsa tax credits or have no formal quals then you are exempt from course fees ;)

you could always do a one week domestic installer followed by partp for quick entry, but dont think that is best route.
That depends if you actually need to learn anything. If you start out competent and are just looking for a quick stamp of approval then it's fine, but you won't emerge with much more competence than you went in with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back