How to change GU10 bulb (fitting stuck?)

t78

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is a dumb question.. how do I remove the bulb from the pictured fitting? I think it should twist maybe but it seems completely solid.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20221213_150412660.jpg
    IMG_20221213_150412660.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 163
Sponsored Links
see the little ridges
they should turn
and then that section will drop out - with the lamp on a cable

the light bulb is held into the holder with spring clips

if the same as the many i have changed for a family friend

i will try and see if a diagram is on the web....

• Thanks
Reactions: t78
Thanks, I thought so. Seems to be jammed, is it anti clockwise to release? Maybe a bit of 'persuasion' required?

Centre twists as above, however they tend to jam in place, particularly with blazing hot halogen lamps and even more so if in a bathroom or kitchen due to moisture.

The whole thing will pull out of the ceiling, caution required as there are 2 spring which hold it in and they are good at snapping onto your fingers.
Will then be easier to hold the outer and turn the inner with pliers or similar.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
i cannot remember for sure - pretty certain anticlockwise as normal
mine i cant remember now if they had 3 ridges or 2 - i think 3 which made it easier to push up and around a little
only a small turn cant remember if quarter turn
yes some have been difficult to turn and as not my property very aware of the damage that maybe caused by the whole thing turning

i made sure i was on a good ladder and comfatable and not doing it quickly

not quite the same as the ones i change
but close enough

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Thanks both, few taps with the hammer did the trick!

you are welcome, glad its worked ok
put a date on the bulb, well the bit at the back that connects - i did , i seemed to change a few every visit , and was surprised some lasted under a year , so changed the supplier - to TLC , i think - she had about 30 of them in kitchen , hallway, utility room

you are welcome, glad its worked ok
put a date on the bulb, well the bit at the back that connects - i did , i seemed to change a few every visit , and was surprised some lasted under a year , so changed the supplier - to TLC , i think - she had about 30 of them in kitchen , hallway, utility room
Ouch, has she bypassed the meter since October?

Ouch, has she bypassed the meter since October?
it gets worse - she changed all her storage heaters for Fischer - Electric doubled ... i hate to think whats the bill at the moment - she is very off - so its not an issue , very luckly - but had her own business and worked hard , before retiring at 70 and selling the business
she often runs things past me - but didnt bother with this - until the installation !!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back