How to Drive a Screw in the Wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Is there a special skill involved in driving a screw into a wall? I have tried it a few times and got it wrong each time. How on Earth do they drill a hole, insert a little plastic plug, drive the screw in and manage to make it so sturdy that a mini metro can be hung from it wtihout it loosening???

Is there a particular size (or type) of drill bit or plug that I need to use in the correct combination?

Please could someone teach me?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
depends on size of plug, red plugs usually require 5.5mm masonary bit

(obviuosly it also depnds on quality of what is being drilled into)

not sure if you could hang a mini metro on it though

read the bit of plastic holding the plugs together the information is often on there drill size in relation to screw diameter ect
plasplug used to have slot on there bulk plug packs to tell you the screw size as well

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

"What is the problem you're having?"

The plug spins when I turn the screw. Does the hole have to be slightly bigger (in diameter) than the plug, or should it be slightly smaller so that tapping in the plug stretches the hole a bit?

Also, what depth of hole do I need in relation to the length of screw I'm using?

I don't think the quality of the material should be a factor, because when we call the carpenter, he can do a perfectly sturdy job in the most crumbly wall or flimsy material!

Thanks.

Traveller said:
The plug spins when I turn the screw. Does the hole have to be slightly bigger (in diameter) than the plug, or should it be slightly smaller so that tapping in the plug stretches the hole a bit?
Just slightly smaller and make sure the masonary drill bit is not blunt. The rawlplug should not turned in the wall, if so, the hole is too big.
Traveller said:
Also, what depth of hole do I need in relation to the length of screw I'm using?
Put the rawlplug in line with the drill bit plus 5mm then use masking tape on the drill bit to help you to get the right distance of the hole depth (some electric drill have a drill stop rod attachment to do this) The reason I allow an extra 5mm is when you push the rawlplug in, it will push the drill dusts to the back. Whta is also important is the right size screw for the rawlplug.

OK Thanks.

One final question...should the screw go thorugh the back end of the plug or stay completely within the plug?

That's okay providing you allow the hole is the same length of the screw.

The other tip I have found helpful, is to ensure that the rawlplug is well into the hole, by placing a tip of a large flat head screwdriver across the whole width of the plug and tapping it in with a hammer. :D

When you tighten up the screw it must 'stop'. If it spins round and round it is not a firm fixing, even if it feels it at the time!

easier way to do that, put screw onto plug (thats on, not in) tap it so plug is flush with surface

Thanks All.

Pity I don't have anything to practise on except my house walls!

if you do put a plug in and its a bit loose you can hammer another plug into the middle to tighten it up now this can vairy from another plug the same size to a smaller size to a part plughalf or quarter tapped in and if nessisery cut off flush

half the time if you choose the right plug [no noticable shoulders]you drill the hole through the batton push the plug into the batton in position put the screw into the plug 2 or3 turns hammer the the plug through the batton into the wall.
if the plug doesnt grip nine times out of ten if your remove the screw take another plug hammer it into the centre as far as it will go cut off any excess it will then grip because the second plug has expanded the first plug then the screw will tighten it even more [you often need more welly if the plug is partly blocking the hole in the batton ;) ]

It takes a LOT of experience to be able to recognise the right drill size, plug and screw for a wall - and you only know for sure when you've tried the first hole. Young assistants I've tried have all been hopeless at this if the wall is anything less than perfect.
Plasplugs plugs are usually fine, and the cheap smooth ones are usually only OK in good walls. Nylon ones are better than plastic .

Always use a screw which is long enough to go through the far end of the plug.

If having trouble getting a good fix in a soft wall for a boiler I use Frame Fixings, which do their gripping deep in the wall, or coach bolts in 10mm plugs, They look like but are far better than hammer-fixings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back