how to find earth leakage in light circuits

Sponsored Links
sorry I do not know what you mean. that the only certificate provided by the electrician when he installed it.

So you as a landlord have a legal obligation to have a satisfactory EICR for your property and a copy of which should be given to your tenants

Electrical Installation Condition Report

not to be confused with

Electrical Installation Certificate which is a document generally used for a new circuit, rewire, or replacement consumer unit

And if you are in England or Wales they should also have provided you with a Part P Compliance Document too.

In the CU, directly above the left hand RCB, why is the CPC connected to a red wire?

Sponsored Links
Electrical Installation Condition Report
this is what I asked the electrician to do. he Came around and said " the installation as is will fail" we need to replace the CU and issue what he issued. He did exactly with my other HMO and I shared it with the local authority and no question was asked. I have another certificate which to do with building Reg. The Electrician did not only replaced the CU, he went around the house and tested all the socked and lights rosses and switches.

Last edited:
RCCB or RCD.

Can we see well enough to ask things like that?

Yeah, RCD, it was a typo.

On my laptop, I can see this

inside_CU-crop.jpg

this is what I asked the electrician to do. he Came around and said " the installation as is will fail" we need to replace the CU and issue what he issued. He did exactly with my other HMO and I shared it with the local authority and no question was asked. I have another certificate which to do with building Reg. The Electrician did not only replaced the CU, he went around the house and tested all the socked and lights rosses and switches.

So you don’t have an EICR then ?

My strategy to tackle this problem was to use the knowledge I gain for the contributions that were posted here to do as much as I can and will call the professionals whenever I get stuck. Hence, I worked in the house all this weekend, I inspected all the wires of the lighting circuits of the first floor from the loft, they are in good condition nothing is chewed or damaged. Sleeved every earth wire. One junction box was a bit dogy and was sorted out. The kitchen light natural and earth was a bit loose and were sorted out alongside the outside front door light. Basically, I inspected every box and switch that has wire coming into it or out of it. Finally I connected the light circuits to the protected side by the RCD and it worked . All the circuits are RCD protected now. This was rather strange insulation; I was expecting to find all the connections in the light ross. They were all done via junction boxes in the loft and under the floor board and only 3 wires coming out of the ceiling to the light. Time to call the electrician to issue new EICR. many thanks to whoever contributed positively to this problem.

Basically, I inspected every box and switch that has wire coming into it or out of it. Finally I connected the light circuits to the protected side by the RCD and it worked .

The problem is, you have not identified for certain, a fault - therefore the fault may well return in the future.

The problem is, you have not identified for certain, a fault - therefore the fault may well return in the future.
any potential problem should show up in the EICR. I believe the electrician will check every connection as I have seen him did in the past and produce the report. the comfort I take from this weekend exercise is that every circuit in the house is RCD protect which is much safer then before!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back