How to fit this wall light???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not sure how to fit this light and get all the wiring in

If it was a stud wall it would be easy but mine is block work.I was looking for a mini backbox but i cant find one or use a normal back box and put a plate over it but this is more hassle to find one that matches

this is a new install

any ideas

thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you posted the right picture?

You do not need a back-box for a wall light.
The cable just comes out of the wall into the fitting.

The picture is correct - it's the back of a small wall light being held by some fingers above.

Confusingly it has been positioned to appear to be resting on the edge of a cupboard even though it is not, making the light look 10x bigger than it really is. Ignore the cupboard and microwave.

As above - no box required, the cable from the wall connects to the wires using the connector block supplied, which fits into the recess on the back of the light.

Sponsored Links
Have you posted the right picture?

You do not need a back-box for a wall light.
The cable just comes out of the wall into the fitting.

Not sure what we are looking at, surely teh cables go into the void where you have added the arrows?

If you need a small back box, I usually use one of these. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK3921.html[/QUOTE]

Theres no room left in the lamp void when you put the choc block and wires in there as is not very deep .~I was thinking of using a architrave back box but wasn't sure if there was a specific box for this situation

thanks

There is/are no specific box. Its make it up as you go along.

How about if you cut the wires shorter so you dont have to stuff all that cable into the light box itself?

In theory the wiring is meant to fit in that recess in the back of the light but I've often found that the light manufacturers are less than generous with the space they allow. One cable can be tight, if there's a second one to go on to another wall light it gets really tight. Although a backbox isn't strictly supposed to be needed, having one can make the job a lot easier.

Either the architrave box that Talortwocities suggested or a round conduit box such as http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20BX1.html can be used, depending on which is a better match for the shape of the wall light in question.

Shortening the cables from the wall light to connector enough to re-terminate them easily within the enclosure of fitting, then running supply/switching cables to the back of the enclosure, again leaving enough cable to allow for ease of termination, should leave enough room to do this without the need for a backbox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back