How to join a solid wood worktop

Yes without then, as someone already said PVA is pretty good, just ensure the joints are good and close and clean.
Then clamp them up. Pack the boards up if they aren't all the same thickness, before nipping the clamps up gently first, tap any face not inline with a black and then tighten, make sure they don't start curving as you tighten the clamps up.
Or clamp both sides of possible.
If clamps in one side, stick a level of something flat across the boards to ensure flatness

Sponsored Links
And try to alternate the grain, if applicable, so each plank cups in an opposite direction to its neighbour

Nozzle

Yes without then, as someone already said PVA is pretty good, just ensure the joints are good and close and clean.
Then clamp them up. Pack the boards up if they aren't all the same thickness, before nipping the clamps up gently first, tap any face not inline with a black and then tighten, make sure they don't start curving as you tighten the clamps up.
Or clamp both sides of possible.
If clamps in one side, stick a level of something flat across the boards to ensure flatness

thanks will give that a go

And try to alternate the grain, if applicable, so each plank cups in an opposite direction to its neighbour

Nozzle

hmm ok makes sense cheers

There will always be some finishing required to even out/flatted the surface, and you wont beat a cabinet scraper for the best finish.

There should not be any cupping problems with that manufactured board, so I'd be inclined to select and align the pieces for appearance and with grain in the same direction (if you can) as that will help with the finishing and final appearance

Sponsored Links
There will always be some finishing required to even out/flatted the surface, and you wont beat a cabinet scraper for the best finish.

There should not be any cupping problems with that manufactured board, so I'd be inclined to select and align the pieces for appearance and with grain in the same direction (if you can) as that will help with the finishing and final appearance

Ah ok, so I should be able to put the pieces back the way they were cut (as best I can)

Would you recommend using a primer before staining to esnure the stain takes evenly throughout the board?

Ah ok, so I should be able to put the pieces back the way they were cut (as best I can)

Would you recommend using a primer before staining to esnure the stain takes evenly throughout the board?
Is stain primed? I didn't think it was, otherwise it don't soak in. Follow the instructions for whatever product you are using

Is stain primed? I didn't think it was, otherwise it don't soak in. Follow the instructions for whatever product you are using

I'm sure I was watching a couple of videos that suggested your prepare (prime?) the wood before stain. To give it an even finish?

If you're using it for food? Danish oil or a wax might be an idea

No it will be just used as a computer desk. I used Liberon deck oil on my deck and absolutely love it. Probably not suitable for an inside desk though :)

My glue (Titebond III) arrived today so hopefully going to make a start at the weekend (family permitting)

It depends what you are calling 'stain'. To me, stain is a penetrating liquid that soaks in to the surface to change its colour, and is not a finish. To others, stain is a coloured varnish that sits on the surface.

Boiled linseed oil and a wax polish can rarely be beated for a finish, unless you need a tough surface coating for protection

As the glue is with you, final "Challenge"

If you can could you post an image of the finished job???

Ken.

I'm sure I was watching a couple of videos that suggested your prepare (prime?) the wood before stain. To give it an even finish?

No it will be just used as a computer desk. I used Liberon deck oil on my deck and absolutely love it. Probably not suitable for an inside desk though :)

My glue (Titebond III) arrived today so hopefully going to make a start at the weekend (family permitting)
Titebond lll sounds like a Marks and Spensor :) hopefully it's not too thick so you don't get a dirty big glue line, but hey at least it's coming together or will be.
As woody said I would personally do the oil or wax which just get waved or oiled out if it's marked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back