How to make hole in tarmac drive for bolt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...just had new gate put in. I need to set the bolt tubes into the ground to take drop bolts. The drive is tarmac....what is best way to get 20mm dia. holes 2-3 inches deep? Gate lads did 2 for closed gate..look neat. Do I get big wide drill...or one of those circular cake cutter type things? thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't think you can get a 20mm core drill - may be wrong though.
I'd use a 20mm SDS drill bit, which you may have to hire - or get the gate lads back, for a small fee!
John :)

As a side note you could consider fitting sprung 'drop bolt sockets' to stop them filling up with crap.

Sponsored Links
Drilling in tarmac alone will be pointless. After the first summer and much waggling about with the gates the holes will end up baggy and useless. You need to cut a section of 'mac out, dig a hole then concrete your tubes in place. Or set in a steel plate with holes drilled in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back