How to remove bathtub tap?

Any idea how to restore this bits of rust?
20161027_094944.jpg

You could try, especially if you're not keeping the old ones. Once it starts moving you should be ok.
@denso13 BTW we tried to hit the pipe with a hammer and understand why it does not move, the tap has a square fitted under it.

Sponsored Links
The rust is under the enamel so not a lot you can do about it - but Kurust is probably as good as it gets......its supposed to stop rust in its tracks (it doesn't.)
Consider taps with a nice big pillar base to cover things, or even two large poly washers from B&Q if you like. Bed them down with silicone.
Its an idea to get that sealing silicone sorted before you pop your new taps in......if you have any sanity left :eek:
John :)

Aye that's the sort of thing if the new taps won't cover fully. Not the prettiest but neither's rust.
I'm concerned if your new plastic bath trap will happily marry up to the copper waste, level wise.....is it possible to replace that copper too, if it doesn't? Sod's well known plumbing law etc.

Sponsored Links
I'm concerned if your new plastic bath trap will happily marry up to the copper waste, level wise.....is it possible to replace that copper too, if it doesn't? Sod's well known plumbing law etc.

It looks like i still got to marry the copper.. cause at the end of it, it goes to a copper as picture shown.
20161027_103848.jpg 20161027_103914.jpg 20161027_103923.jpg 20161027_103920.jpg

I see - you haven't had it easy, have you.....?!
The bath trap mustn't be strained where it joins to the copper but you could always run some of it in plastic if need be, and join where its more convenient.

I'd be looking at a McAlpine compression coupler to marry up to that copper, may be the only fitting that will work. Just buy a straight coupler to confirm that it will fit the OD of that copper pipe 1st.

IMG_6544.jpg
You can get a flexible waist extension (£5 from screwfix). Fit trap, cut copper back a bit and debur then fit this.

Well done @GoodOne. Good to see you got it sorted. Looks good.

If I was to feedback anything then it would be to use McAlpine fittings (better quality and design) and if possible fit an antivac bath trap with a larger seal - 50mm min - rather than a shallow trap, as it seems you may have the space for it. That's an old deep bath with a large capacity and a reasonably long pipe run, so you want to keep any eye on it and check it doesn't self syphon (gurgling when the last of the water has drained)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back