How to remove dot dab boards??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a modern property with dot and dab plasterboard on the brick party wall.
Unfortunately the sound insulation is appalling and I want to upgrade by adding new materials but have been told it's better to remove the existing dot and dab boards first BEFORE adding the new materials because the sound bounces around in the air gap between the boards and the brick party wall, and so any benefit will be reduced.... I have suspected this for a while and so am sure it's the right thing to do.

BUT, what is the best way to remove dot and dab plasterboards???

Can anybody help? I've searched on the net but not found any advice anywhere.

Thanks,

Bob

Sponsored Links
Hello Bob,
It's a hammer and chisel job.
But before you start;
Remove items of furniture etc.. from room pull the carpet up if you can. Dust sheet up any vulnerable areas.
Get yourself kitted out with PPE, goggles/safety specs, gloves, boots, dust mask etc..
I would recommend you break any jointing seals between ceilings and walls that you intend to take off, this will minimize possible damage to ceilings and adjoining walls. These are the joints of the angles between ceiling and wall
So do that with a sharp stanley type knife and a drywall saw, be careful to identify cable routes and pipe work whilst doing this work, so you don't damage them or yourself.
Shovel, brush, wheelbarrow and rubble bags come in handy.
A skip could be considered depending on the amount to be removed and the facilities offered by your local council for the tipping of gypsum based materials.
Then it's a matter of hammering a few holes in to the wall, pulling and prising the boards away from the wall and then chiseling the dabs off.

Sound insulation needs to be the OTHER side. Too late once it's in the fabric of the building. Think Pappillon and the pipe tapping scene.

Thanks for your replies! Thanks for the tips Prentice.

I see your point Joe, but I don't suppose many people will be able to convince their neighbour to pay for sound insulation on their side of the party wall. Let alone put up with the mess and inconvenience or loss of floor space. In an ideal world, the sound should be prevented from entering the wall, but In the real world, defense is a good option.

Removing the existing dot and dab will reduce the reverberation within our own side of the party wall and adding good sound insulation should make a great deal of difference. IF that doesn't work well enough, then we will have to get tougher with the neighbours.

Sponsored Links
In the years I've blighted this forum no-one has ever come back with a success story. Only density stops vibration.

YEah I know it's difficult to fix but it's worth a go at least.

The stuff I'm putting up weighs a total of about 40kg/m2 - much heavier than the bog standard plasterboard that's there at the moment - so hopefully it should have some affect.

The noise that comes through is generally irritating background noise, such as TV, loud talking etc. Almost never have loud noise pumping, so that's not too much of a problem.

take the old stuff off mate as people have said above then to give you better sound insulation apply a couple of thick coats of thistle sound coat, then dot and dab sound check plasterboards over the top, skim and finished (obviously paint at some point :LOL: )

When I did a similar job, the sound transmission was greatly muffled but not removed, however, the owner thought it had been worthwhile (Fibreglass batts on steel purlins with a 2" gap to the party wall).......if that's any help to you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back