How to replace the pull cord on a bathroom extractor fan

Sponsored Links
Ok, the fan came and I don't think I am capable of installing it.

There isn't a pull cord on it. It says in the instructions that I can either install a separate pull cord or attach it to the light electrics, both of which I don't know how to do.

So I'm going to go back to the original question and ask how to replace the pull cord on the existing fan.

There isn't a pull cord on it.
You say that as if it was something you had no control over.

You chose to buy a fan without an integral pull switch - why did you do that?

35e7c.gif

It says in the instructions that I can either install a separate pull cord or attach it to the light electrics, both of which I don't know how to do.
1) No wiring diagram in the instructions?

2) //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:fan

So I'm going to go back to the original question and ask how to replace the pull cord on the existing fan.
1) Find somebody selling a 230V switch with the right dimensions to fit inside the fan case.

2) Buy it.

3) Wire it up in the same way the existing one is wired.

4) Put the fan case back together.

There isn't a pull cord on it.
You say that as if it was something you had no control over.

You chose to buy a fan without an integral pull switch - why did you do that?

35e7c.gif

It says in the instructions that I can either install a separate pull cord or attach it to the light electrics, both of which I don't know how to do.
1) No wiring diagram in the instructions?

2) //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:fan

1) Find somebody selling a 230V switch with the right dimensions to fit inside the fan case.

2) Buy it.

3) Wire it up in the same way the existing one is wired.

4) Put the fan case back together.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

I had no idea that there wasn't a pull cord on it and the item description didn't mention it.

There is a tiny diagram, but it's not really helpful. I don't really understand electrical diagrams enough to feel confident doing it. Well, less that and rather finding the light wires when I come to do it.

Regarding the 230V switch, I'm not sure which one it is to replace it.

Sponsored Links
I had no idea that there wasn't a pull cord on it and the item description didn't mention it.
It didn't mention Swarovski crystals either.

There's a reason for that - products tend not to have features not mentioned in the description.

You can measure the size of the existing one.

You can compare the dimensions of ones you look at with the dimensions of the one you have.

Nobody here can tell you what switch to buy because nobody here can see the existing one in real life.

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm beginning to think you don't have a DIY bone in your body....

It didn't mention Swarovski crystals either.

There's a reason for that - products tend not to have features not mentioned in the description.

You can measure the size of the existing one.

You can compare the dimensions of ones you look at with the dimensions of the one you have.

Nobody here can tell you what switch to buy because nobody here can see the existing one in real life.

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm beginning to think you don't have a DIY bone in your body....

Like I said, I didn't know the fan wouldn't have a cord. I've never bought one before and I just assumed that it would have a switch to turn it off and on. It's an amateur mistake which I'm perfectly willing to accept as I am an amateur.

There isn't currently a switch to replace as it is missing. I've worked out what it is though. Although listed as a light switch I think this is what I need:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/4-615-Pull-...5PIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319547323&sr=8-1

Maybe I don't have a DIY bone in my body, but if so there isn't much I can do about it accept try as well as ask for help, which is what I'm doing :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back