Sponsored Links
No - she does not have the right to disable a ventilation appliance. It is not the same as changing a light bulb.

Be told.

If one does not have the right to to minor things like change a light bulb/turn of a circuit/remove a fuse/unplug a item/hang a picture up/put up some blinds, etc
... in a flat they rent, then the world has gone mad. After all she laid a new tiled floor with the help of my Granddad about 5 years ago.

Disabling a permanent ventilation facility is NOT THE SAME as changing a light bulb, or unplugging a TV.

Be told!

Sponsored Links
No she does not.

So if she does not have access to touch the switches in the DB in her single bed flat, why does she have access to them what only affects her flat. If she had to turn her power off in an emergency, her fan would also get turned off to.

I once knew a person who fitted a lovely kitchen in her council house.

Then she met someone new and moved out.
Before reletting the council tore out the kitchen - so that all the houses are the same.

If she had to turn her power off in an emergency, her fan would also get turned off to.
FFS.

An emergency is not, not, NOT the same as disabling a permanent ventilation provision.

B E
CD_2c.png
CD_2c.png
T O L D !

It does seem daft to have a fan running 24/7 in a domestic premises which is unoccupied for weeks at a time, however isn't there something in the council tenancy agreement about leaving them unoccupied for so long?

I once knew a person who fitted a lovely kitchen in her council house.

That's a bit different than taking a single 3A fuse out.

B E
CD_2c.png
CD_2c.png
T O L D !

And you think I am going to give up....:LOL::D

It does seem daft to have a fan running 24/7 in a domestic premises which is unoccupied for weeks at a time, however isn't there something in the council tenancy agreement about leaving them unoccupied for so long?

Not normally left unoccupied for for more than around 6-7 weeks. Sometimes a family member will go in to check for mail.

Lets put it this was BAS, while she may technically be braking her council flats contract/agreement or be taking full responsibility should something go wrong like damp problems, turn off the fan is not illegal and is not going to get the local bobby knocking on her door, nor is it likely to get her evicted all of a sudden.

With your logic, I take it she is not allowed to drill a hole through the wall for the cable from the freesat satellite dish (loads of them on her block) nor is she allowed to hang a pair of blinds up.

It's nothing to do with "my logic", and everything to do with what she is, and is not, allowed to do as a tenant in somebody else's property.

And why is she leaving the place empty for weeks and weeks on end anyway?

I take it she is not allowed to drill a hole through the wall for the cable from the freesat satellite dish (loads of them on her block)
That depends on the tenancy agreement. Some can be very draconian about exactly what tenants can and cannot do.

The bottom line is that the owner of the property decided there was a need for permanent ventilation, The apparent requirement for permanent ventilation be related to radon gas in the area http://www.ukradon.org/information/ukmaps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back