What you are saying there is that in order to save a few quid per year she wants an easy way to turn the fan off even if that wrecks the decor, damages her clothes and furnishings, and risks her health.

Effectively Yes. Plus here bathroom never used to have a fan that was on 24/7 before it was renovated by the council a few years ago.

Wait, so it looks like this?!?!...

crossbetweenasquareandacircle-jpg.99357

LOL, Very funny. Should the fan not have a 3 pole isolator anyway, or is that only when fed of the lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
Should the fan not have a 3 pole isolator anyway, or is that only when fed of the lighting circuit?
It's a good idea so that you can isolate it when faulty so the remainder of the circuit will work.

It's not a requirement and the frequently used reason of being able to have the light on when repairing the fan is a fatuous argument.

Last edited:
(0.005kW fan x 0.12P per kWhr) * 24 * 30 = 43P a month to run, or £5.18 a year.
That calculation is correct, but for future use it's much easier to remember that for items on all the time, 1 watt is £1 per year.

The better continuous extractors are 1.5W in trickle mode.

Sponsored Links
I remember my son being employed to renovate council flats. He was under instructions to return all to council standard all metal faced switches and sockets replaced, all non simple pendent light fittings replaced and the ex-tenant was charged for the replacements. All the family had lights and sockets he was told to replace. The ex-tenants were not pleased with the bill but that was the agreement was no alterations. So cost is doubled one cost to fit and then cost to remove.

My family member who lives in the council flat had metallic light switches fitted by me before the flat was renovated a few years ago; I assume they did not mind as they are still there today. Also there is a fancy metallic light fitting with 6 LED G9 bulbs in the living room, don't know who fitted it, but again it has been there since the flats electrics were renovated a few years ago.

I suppose it varies by council and area of what your allowed to do.

Well - let's hope that natural justice prevails, and she gets penalised for her stupidity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back