Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of family members lives in a council flat, and in the bathroom there is a extractor fan what is always on, what has a pull cord to toggle between the low speed trickle and high speed modes.

Now there is a unswitched fused spur in the corner of the bathroom wall labelled fan, what I assume is for the extractor fan in the bathroom.

I am going to replace it with a switched fused spur for them as they want a way to turn the fan off to save energy, especially when the flat is vacant for weeks at a time.

Just wondering if a fused spur with a pull cord switch built in exists?

Regards: Elliott.

Sponsored Links
Not that I am aware of. One way to get what you want is to keep the unswitched fused spur and add a normal pull cord but as it is a council flat you will need to get them to do it.

One way to get what you want is to keep the unswitched fused spur and add a normal pull cord but as it is a council flat you will need to get them to do it.

I will just replace the unswicthed fused spur for a switched one then, just like I have replaced light switches for metallic ones in the flat in the past.

Sponsored Links
Silly as it sounds, could anybody be tempted to use it while in the bath?
123's suggestion is good.

they want a way to turn the fan off to save energy, especially when the flat is vacant for weeks at a time.
Continuous extract devices typically use less than 5W, in some cases a lot less. Savings for switching it off for a few weeks will be practically nothing, the cost of installing an FCU will never be recovered.

could anybody be tempted to use it while in the bath?

I suppose you have the issue someone could switch it with wet hands, but then you have that issue in kitchens to with sockets near sinks. Maybe the fan may have a switch/jumper inside to disable the continuous low speed mode. Can't remember the make or model of the fan, but the shape of it is a cross between a square and a circle.

The unswitched fused spur is very high up in the corner of the bathroom above the toilet. The sink and enclosed shower are on the other side of the bathroom, there is no bath.

Savings for switching it off for a few weeks will be practically nothing, the cost of installing an FCU will never be recovered.

Not when you have a few spare fused spurs in your toolbox. Also poor design IMO of a extractor fan that you can't turn off, i.e. by a isolator or pull switch.

It is proberly correctly designed, to be on all the time to prevent more serious problems like damp and mould occuring

Now there is a unswitched fused spur in the corner of the bathroom wall labelled fan, what I assume is for the extractor fan in the bathroom
NEVER assume.

Also, if the flat is going to be vacant for weeks at a time, they could just turn the entire circuit off (assuming it's not common with the freezer)

Council house and housing association folk are constantly complaining about damp in their bathrooms.

Your current set-up will have been carefully designed, and no one should be switching it off, only controlled by existing switches and pull cords.

I assume as I have yet to investigate what the un-switched fused spur feeds. Regardless of the purpose and design of the fan being on 24/7, she wants a way of easily turning the fan off.

(0.005kW fan x 0.12P per kWhr) * 24 * 30 = 43P a month to run, or £5.18 a year.

Regardless of the purpose and design of the fan being on 24/7, she wants a way of easily turning the fan off.

(0.005kW fan x 0.12P per kWhr) * 24 * 30 = 43P a month to run, or £5.18 a year.
What you are saying there is that in order to save a few quid per year she wants an easy way to turn the fan off even if that wrecks the decor, damages her clothes and furnishings, and risks her health.

Rearrange these words in a well known phrase or saying.

is

mad

barking

she​

the shape of it is a cross between a square and a circle.

Wait, so it looks like this?!?!...

crossbetweenasquareandacircle.jpg

o_Oo_O

I'll get me coat.

Gaz :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back