How to wire a fused block after trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds stupid but my lights blew a fuse and my fuse box is very old I believe I have to buy some fused wire and do it the old way.
How do i do it step by step.

I understand I have to unscrew the fuse for the lights.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170503-010457.png
    Screenshot_20170503-010457.png
    489 KB · Views: 191
Sponsored Links
Are all the switches in the other (grey) box on the right pointing in the same direction?

I doubt the grey box to the right is anything other than for a shower or out building etc?

The lights are going to be on the white fuse - This needs pulling out with the fusebox turned OFF. It is then pretty obvious how to replace the wire.

If you have no fuse wire, you could order one of these instead: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WYB6.html

I'd definitely replace with MCB's if you can, but you may not be able to fit the black cover on after as they are a bit tall.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you use the correctly rated fusewire, the lights are generally on the white dotted fuse and use a 5A wire. The fusewire should be available at all electrical wholesalers and expect places like B&Q, Wickes and Homebase to have them in stock.

I doubt the grey box to the right is anything other than for a shower or out building etc?

The lights are going to be on the white fuse - This needs pulling out with the fusebox turned OFF. It is then pretty obvious how to replace the wire.

If you have no fuse wire, you could order one of these instead: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WYB6.html

I'd definitely replace with MCB's if you can, but you may not be able to fit the black cover on after as they are a bit tall.
Although 9 times out of 10 you can do this, first one should measure the loop impedance, I am uneasy about advising the change without first measuring.

You can however also fit cartridge fuses, if the fuse is too big for the loop impedance then it will take a second or so longer to rupture with a fault, if the MCB is too big then it moves from micro seconds to 5 seconds there is a huge step if the loop impedance is exceeded.

In theory if OK for a fuse it is also OK for MCB, but years ago often the loop impedance was not measured. I would swap, but I can measure the loop impedance.

to be honest - it would be a priority to upgrade to a modern consumer unit. RCDs change the game in terms of electrocution risk. I see there is a FIT meter too, so assume there is some sort of PV set up?

Robert Dyas (might be on a nearby high street) usually have fusewire on sale.
To this unskilled eye, the meter looks just like the one British Gas fitted for my flat (a few years ago) supposedly as part of the Smart Meter programme.

I know how they work.

However, if the figures haven't reduced since they were introduced, then it would seem they have not helped.

The figures haven't reduced since Part P was introduced so that hasn't helped either.

you can't know that from the dimensions you are considering. You'd have to assume that all other things were constant and we know that's not true.

Are they rising as a %age of the population, taking in to account the proliferation of electronic goods?

at the end of the day if someone held a gun to your head and plugged one live cable in to a modern RCD protected CU and another in to an old fused CU and said you have to stand on this wet grass and grasp one of the cables - which one are you going to grab?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back