I’m getting fed up with premium bonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always nervous with online bank transfers. Like you, a test amount to make sure it doesn't disappear into the ether is always a prudent precaution.
I do the same, usually some figure like £1.53 or some such, then have it confirmed as received.

Sponsored Links
Have they forgotten to switch ERNIE on this month? 'Results not yet available'. :cautious:

Yes!
App still not working but just checked on the main site and both me and Mrs Mottie have won. £50 apiece. :):):)

Sponsored Links
You can look through this list to see the high value bond winners this month, how much they hold in total, how much the winning bond cost and when it was bought. A lot of people are holding £40k plus of bonds bought in the last 10 years or so but it’s nice to see someone who is holding just 90 quids worth winning £5,000 on a £10 bond they bought in 1974! :)

Last edited:
£25 only, for the wife and myself...............Bit of a downer.

Think they might have reduced prizes. I know the NS&I Income Bonds have been reduced to 0.01% - hardly live up to their name.

Also, The Treasury is making plans in case they have to introduce negative interest rates. We're all going to be poorer.

Premium Bonds are a rock-solid cash-equivalent savings vehicle. The return is low, and there is no risk of the nominal sum of your capital reducing...

...or increasing.

Inflation will erode the real value over time.

If you want to invest for the future, with a risk of your capital growing... or reducing, then other vehicles are more suitable.

As Mottie knows, my European pooled investment, bought shortly before the Brexit referendum, has grown in value by 70%, and also pays a dividend just over 2% a year.

Sadly Mottie doesn't like to hear that, and tries to deny it is true.

Financial press is encouraging the Chancellor to implement the equivalent of 'War Bonds' to raise cash to pay the Corvid bill. Could call them Recovery Bonds, to encourage the public to invest for a fixed period/interest rate. He could simply start by increasing the threshold of investment and raise the prize rates for Premium Bonds .
Any investment bonds with a decent interest rate would be popular as current bank rates are derisory.

As Mottie knows, my European pooled investment, bought shortly before the Brexit referendum, has grown in value by 70%, and also pays a dividend just over 2% a year. Sadly Mottie doesn't like to hear that, and tries to deny it is true.
JohnD the stalker. Even if it were true, 70% growth on a tenner in 4 years is only seven quid. At least you can buy yourself some screen wash with that - your screen must get very dirty hammering up and down the motorway from Scotland to East London and back to visit relatives twice a week.

Even if it were true, 70% growth on a tenner in 4 years is only seven quid.

And 1% p.a. on £10 of premium bonds over 4 years is 40p

Sour grapes, mottie, sour grapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back