I can reach a socket with my hand in the kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - first time here and looking for some advice...

I am living in a rented flat and I feel that being able to reach the boiler's plug socket with one hand while the other is in the kitchen sink represents a fair amount of hazard. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!). And yes, I have done it... Still here to tell the tale fortunately.

I was wondering if this type of hazard in rented accomodation is addressed in the Housing Act and would the local council enforce action? I know that this Act is being enforced on all landlords from April 6 2006.

I just can't see how the council can act without these things being drawn to their attention.

I am moving out before then though and I really fear for any future tenants - I had to have this hazard pointed out to me by someone else before I noticed it myself.

I suspect that the letting agents may be aware of some failing in the standards - they provided me with gas safety inspection reports before and during my tenancy. But nothing to do with the electricity.

I don't want to upset the letting agent at a time when I will be dependent on them to return a hefty deposit but surely this situation is dangerous to say the least?

What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Sadly, it is not forbidden. The socket needs to be far enough from the tap that it is not liekely to be splashed... but 300 mm is considered to be enough.

lots of people think it is good practice to have sockets out of reach of the sink, but there is no requirement to do it. (in my house I keep them at least a metre apart, but some kitchens are very small)

Edited to say, did you say the boiler was on a plug and socket? that's poor practice, it should be on an FCU (there can be few appliances more fixed than a boiler ;) ) If your conscience is troubling you about the safety of future tenants, then (after finishing the sometimes long process of getting your deposit back) you could write a letter to the agents pointing it out and asking if it is to be considered a safety hazard, suggesting it is brought to the electrician's attention during the next Inspection. If they don't pretend not to have received the letter, they ought to be concerned that a possible safety hazard has been brought to their attention, in case someone gets electrocuted and they've done nothing about it. No doubt the landlord will consider you a tiresome, interfering busybody who knows nothing :LOL: but you can cope with that.

nipster said:
1. I am living in a rented flat and I feel that being able to reach the boiler's plug socket with one hand while the other is in the kitchen sink represents a fair amount of hazard. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!).

2. I am moving out before then though and I really fear for any future tenants

3. I had to have this hazard pointed out to me by someone else before I noticed it myself.

4. I suspect that the letting agents may be aware of some failing in the standards - they provided me with gas safety inspection reports before and during my tenancy. But nothing to do with the electricity.

5. I don't want to upset the letting agent at a time when I will be dependent on them to return a hefty deposit but surely this situation is dangerous to say the least?
1. Nope, no hazard. As JohnD said, it is not forbidden, in fact, I dont think there are any clear distances set out in the regs. In some kitchens, having the socket out of reach of the sink, would limit the locations where sockets ARE allowed, due to lack of space.

2. Worrying about tennants is your landlord's job

3. Who told you it was a hazard? Are they in the electrical trade?

4. I doubt the failling in standards. Gas inspections are carried out every year, i think the requirement for electrical inspections is every 5 years.

5. As long as you return the flat in a reasonable condition, they have a duty to return the deposit. Dont worry about complaining, though there is nothing here to complain about.

Sponsored Links
The only reference to the distance of sockets from sinks or cookers is given in the electricians guide to the building regs. The distance is 300mm.
There is no given distance in the BS7671 regs.

Vince

nipster said:
I can reach a socket with my hand in the kitchen sink
Well don't.

I can cross the road without looking. I take care not to.

I can use a wood chisel with one hand in front of the sharp end. I take care not to.

I used to be able to hold a loaded 9mm pistol to my head. I used to take care not to.

The world presents us with many opportunities to injure or kill ourselves by not taking the most obvious and basic care - you can't expect the state to legislate them all out of existence.

ban-all-sheds said:
I used to be able to hold a loaded 9mm pistol to my head. I used to take care not to.

The government remove it from you, because they thought banning handguns would reduce gun crime? :rolleyes: ... *glances at part P* oh well, I suppose the short sightedness of the government will never end...

Just as well you don't live in America where they have such a thing as an 'Efficiency'. This consists of an electric hob and sink combined in one unit, it incorporates a water faucet which can be swivelled over the rings.
Although they are on 110V I wonder how many deaths occur from such an appliance.

It would be impossible in many kitchens to avoid this, however reducing this occourance is highly desireable.
The safer we can make things the better in gen.
But, sadly, sometimes by enhancing safety/reducing danger we create a climate of less care needed therefore less care excersized, which can be a negative result.
If we all drove around without car doors and seat belts we would habitually take more care to stay inside the car. Put doors on them and we lean against them and risk falling out if ajar. Daft I know but see the point?

Maybe you didn't have to go through this: -

electricalsocketexplosion2st.jpg

If the image doesn't appear - then click on this link: -

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6133/electricalsocketexplosion2st.jpg

Swindon,
Its Empty,
Does that mean it`s a tale with nowt in it?
LOL

I can see it :eek: :rolleyes: its a socket with lots of black marks around it, serious explosion has heppened. Oh, and its right next to a sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back