I can reach a socket with my hand in the kitchen sink

Thanks for that Crafty perhaps we should do away with image hosting sites and use you instead. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi Nipster

Sockets near a steel sink, what I have seen sparks do is the socket would obviously be earthed in the normal way when running a ring main.

But then they have run a further earth wire from the socket outlet in question and connected it directly onto the rising main under the sink which is also cross bonded onto the sink top.

Presumably to prevent any difference in potential between the sink and socket under fault conditions.

I other words it doesn't wait for you to touch the sink and socket and use you as the earth fault path.

ebee said:
Put doors on them and we lean against them and risk falling out if ajar. Daft I know but see the point?

same applies to cliff edges. if you put a fence up you'd better make sure its sturdy because people will lean on it. if there isn't one then people will keep back far enough that they feel safe.

the real trick in improving safety is to improve actual safety without improving the feeling of safety.

Adam_151 said:
The government remove it from you, because they thought banning handguns would reduce gun crime?
No - I sold it some years before those morons in Scotland allowed an obviously highly unsuitable person to own guns.

And of course, destroying people's livelihoods and denying them their hobbies has been worthwhile, hasn't it? Gun crime has fallen dramatically, as we all know.

Sponsored Links
I clicked on the link and its forbidden so I still can`t see it

CliveDiy said:
But then they have run a further earth wire from the socket outlet in question and connected it directly onto the rising main under the sink which is also cross bonded onto the sink top.

The regs no longer recommend supplementary bonding in the kitchen, so the vast majority of sparks may not do this.

Hi securespark

I know that sparks did use to cross bond sinks in kitchen locations, but you are right I’ve just looked in the iee on site guide.

Only thing is, it doesn’t state why it’s no longer required.
I always like to know the reason behind things, do you know the reason why by any chance?

Thanks

SwindonSpark said:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /photo1/electrical_socket/electrical_socket_explosion.jpg on this server.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.55 (Red Hat) Server at www.safetyphoto.co.uk Port 80

Ban, I have changed the image host server.

You should now be able to see the mess in all its glory!

ban-all-sheds said:
SwindonSpark said:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /photo1/electrical_socket/electrical_socket_explosion.jpg on this server.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.55 (Red Hat) Server at www.safetyphoto.co.uk Port 80

copy the url and then paste it directly into your browser search bar

If you go to page 1 the link now works,

CliveDiy said:
Only thing is, it doesn’t state why it’s no longer required.
I always like to know the reason behind things, do you know the reason why by any chance?

Supplementary bonding is not required in a kitchen as it is not considered that the person will be at an increased risk of shock owing to lack of clothing + wet body.

SwindonSpark said:
Images working OK now.

Go back to page 1 and look.
B*gger the images - what caused the explosion? And was the sink position relevant?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back