I Didn't Know That!

Sponsored Links
I remember asking 'Me Mam' to pick up some 1.44 floppies on her Saturday shopping expedition. She paid a small fortune in Boots The Chemists & moaned for weeks about how many shops she had to try . . . .

Cost me about half a weeks wages, but they camed in a high quality plastic storage case.

On one of those floppies I stored the code for my purchase of £10's worth of Bitcoin in the first week of it's release. How much is that worth today then?

Ask me where that floppy disk is . . . I dare you.

Anyway 3.5" floppies weren't floppies at all. Where I worked they were correctly known as stiffies.

Sponsored Links
I preferred the 8 inch floppies, much more fun when used as a HiTech Frizzby ( 80 kBytes )

They were the very first 8 inch ones, they progressed eventually to a commercial version with a capacity of around 570Kb formatted, though I heard of another format which achieved maybe 1.2Mb. I was toying with ideas of buying into 8" or HDD's at that time.

They were the very first 8 inch ones, they progressed eventually to a commercial version with a capacity of around 570Kb formatted, though I heard of another format which achieved maybe 1.2Mb. I was toying with ideas of buying into 8" or HDD's at that time.
Do you mean external HDD Harry? What was a "Zip" drive? Was that just a drive that turned it into a zip file?

Do you mean external HDD Harry? What was a "Zip" drive? Was that just a drive that turned it into a zip file?

I used to have, maybe still have it around a zip drive. It was a plug in portable floppy drive. The zip file was just a bit of software (still used) which zips up and compacts a a file or files, into one much smaller file, sometimes password protected. It was important that files were as small as possible in the days of dial-up internet.

Sponsored Links
Back