I didn't take photos before I removed it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are 3 twin and earth wires coming out of the ceiling where I removed the previous light fitting from. The 3 red lives are all connected together. The 3 green earth wires are all connected together. 2 black neutral wires are in a block together and the other black neutral wire is in a block on its own. I didn't record the connections when I removed the previous light fitting. I connected the new led light, which has a metal base which fits flush to the ceiling, by connecting the group of 3 red wires to the brown on the new light fitting; the 2 black wires connected together to the blue on the new light fitting and the group of 3 earth wires to the earth connection on the new light fitting. The single block black neutral wire is not connected to anything. I did not touch the wall switch at all. When I turned the power back on the light came on and stayed on even when I "switched it off" at the light switch. I would really appreciate advice how I can rectify this. I have changed many light fittings with no problems. I usually take photos of the connections prior to starting work or draw the connections and this has always stood me in good stead. I have now learnt my lesson but still need to fix the connections for the new light. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The single black is the SWITCHED LIVE returning from the switch.

The two blacks are NEUTRALS.

Connect the light to these two plus earth if it has one.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. So I should put the 3 red live wires in a block and do nothing with them , then ?

I have changed many light fittings with no problems. I usually take photos of the connections prior to starting work or draw the connections and this has always stood me in good stead.
But despite the many times you've done it you've never spotted how things are connected?

Thanks for the advice. I take the feedback about not learning, but, healthily I believe, electricity scares me somewhat. I'm OK up to a point but will never take risks with it. Cheers again for the help.

Thanks for the advice. I take the feedback about not learning, but, healthily I believe, electricity scares me somewhat. I'm OK up to a point but will never take risks with it. Cheers again for the help.

Trouble is, it's worth learning at least the basics, so you know when you are out of your depth and don't know what your doing that leads to unnecessary risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back