I.E.E - End of an era?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just visited IEE website and got re-directed to this IET thing (Institute of Engineering and Technology.) However, the links weren't working cause the server was down or something (say no more-Lmfao.)
So what is going on? Does IEE no longer exist as such? Is it an amalgamation of IEE and IIE under another name, or an independant organisation?
Oh my head is spinning with so many questions lol. But a couple of questions I already know the answers to. Is it the needed excuse to bring out yet another Regs book ( if they can think of a colour not already used.) And if so, will it be any cheaper. Applying for bank loan as we speak...

Sponsored Links
afaict its a merger pure and simple. i'd imagine for a short while there will be chaos as the rebranding and integration takes place and then things will settle down and get pretty much back to normal.

At last the main thrust of the Finniston Report (1982) is starting to be implemented.

The report was commissioned by the Labour government and proposed that the engineering institutions should no longer be autonomous & should merge. Of course, that meant all but one of the presidential posts would disappear, so autonomy was maintained. As a sop the institutions created the Engineering Council.

Over the years, the cost of a few inflated egos has cost members a great deal of money. Except for me - I jacked my membership in on principle.

it sounds to me more like a little offspring formed when it came into prominance and has decided to merge back into its former parent.

Sponsored Links
Its a merger between the IEE and IIE wich happened on the 31st March! I was a member who voted!

They wanted the IMechE to merge with them but they pulled out in the first discussion on merging. There was then a second discussion involving just the IEE and IIE, both of which voted over 95% for the merger (if I remember correctly).

From what I have seen its basically just the IEE but rebranded and a few more members from the IIE.

The wiring regulations will still be published as IEE in the future as thats what everyone knows them as!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back