I hate MS!!

What annoys me with all this sort of stuff (including things like completing a purchase on Amazon and them pushing Prime) is whilst there will be a button somewhere to continue without agreeing to whatever it is they're pushing, it will be extremely small and often not located in an obvious place on screen.

Ok she's 80, but mum phoned me a couple of weeks ago re this Win 11 thing and, to her, it looked as though she had no choice but to go with it. I talked her through what buttons to press to continue as normal, but they don't make it easy.

Yeah yeah I get why, nevertheless it's frustrating.

At least they ask you first. When I was on 7 a few years ago, I left my pc running unattended for a few mins. When I came back to it, it had started automatically converting to 10. Pulled the plug and did a system restore to get it back to how it was. Had to go to the lengths of installing a program called Stop 10 so it wouldn't start converting to 10 again when it had a mind to.

Sponsored Links
I've not had Office in years, i do everything on Google Docs and Sheets.

Yeah I remember the good old days with things like Office, you bought it, installed it, job done. Now you've to chose between 1,000,000 different licensing options and as you say, multiple update requests.

All under the guise of progress ;)

I find a free program called Libre Office is better for all my word processing tasks.

Sponsored Links
From the people I've spoken to in our IT dept they say stay clear as it is a Beta version and not fully tested so you will be a guinea pig.
I think we're all guinea pigs for MS, even when it's not Beta.

I get why, nevertheless it's frustrating.

I don't get it.
It's like there's a manic teenager stuck inside your PC hell-bent on forcing changes all the time.

Why you can't buy software that by default is set up so any changes are always OK'd by the user, IDK. And why make it so difficult to alter settings? That has been deliberately set up that way to encourage updates and changes and make it difficult for the user to control.

I always thought I was 'into IT' but the older I get, the less this seems to be the case ...
Yeah, me too. In my teens, I was really keen to get into all this new technology, but now I am very cynical.
Printers are the worst in my book.

My biggest issue with electronic equipment is my attitude towards it. I am human and feel more intelligent and more adaptable that this in-aninmate lump of plastic, metal and electronics.
There's just no way that it's getting the better of me. The balance of power and control has to remain with me at all times!

Yeah I remember the good old days with things like Office, you bought it, installed it, job done. Now you've to chose between 1,000,000 different licensing options and as you say, multiple update requests.

All under the guise of progress ;)
Yeah, I hate Office 365. I used to buy the last versions of Office before 365 came out.
But now I just use Libre.

Back