I want to fit a new alarm panel to existing system (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above. Ive decided to take it upon myself to upgrade my alarm panel for a few reasons....the first being that it was never really setup correctly and, only half the stuff is working, coupled with some scroat on a motorcross bike with no plates on it eyeing up my garage.! so i started googling new panels and this site came up...looks like my kind of site!

So first and foremost, im pretty handy mechanically and electrically, wired up my house mains years ago when you were allowed to, stripped motorbikes and rebuilt them - repaired various bits of electronic stuff, games console and whatnot...but never really looked at the alarm panel...mainly because its one of those things (to me) you set the alarm off and you can never turn it off/****ing off the neighbours when you so for that reason...never touched it....it is live in a way...the smoke alarms are all working but never really set anything else...

The current setup: without looking i think its a premier 48 panel...(about 15 years old or so) im thinking i may as well start with a fresh panel? with regards to devices attached to it: a few keypads, various PiR's, door trips, ive got an ethernet board for the lan but not used it for years and years, and a few extender boards...one right next to it.... If it's worth upgrading ive no idea where to start or, if its easer to just go with a new panel.

Anyway...thanks to anyone that takes a run at it. Ill happily listen to all angles!!

Sponsored Links
Heres a pic of my existing panel....
20240108_194517.jpg

This is the extender board box next to it...
20240108_194312.jpg

Sponsored Links
No …it’s same size but it’s different mounts for the psu …the expander is a later one with a switch mode psu , the elite has the same psu ..

Ok - thanks....as these are my opening questions....i know all the cables go out to the various pir's keypads etc etc....i thought id get the panel....swap it out, (this is my theory) get the network side connected so i can see the panel...then make an attempt to start connecting stuff.... does that sound feasible...?

Is there more to go onto the xp200 ? As there is only one item on that expander

Yeah - as my mate (who I've not seen for years never finished it) in the expander box there is a bunch of cables that never got ran...they're in the bottom corner of expander box...I think one was a door sensor for example...

Ok - so i think ive got a bit of a deal....bought a 2nd hand premier 48 elite with the smartapp box for 90 quid delivered....the front is missing off the box but i can transfer that to mine...as you said the psu has different mounting points but i can redrill that and fit.....

Not sure....ill ask....if it hasnt is it just a case of a firmware update?

Wow - no idea....ok...well have to find out i suppose but even if it is i still get the panel for 90 quid which is still a deal from what i can see...

Learning time now....

So, whats the differences between the smartapp boxes (firmware, functionality etc etc) lets say mines an old one that i cant update. What can i and cant i do with it?

And....thanks for all of the replies...been invaluable!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back