I want to fit a new alarm panel to existing system (Ed.)

Okay you need to do some current calculations for when in alarm so you check your okay.

Two internals and 2 bell boxes probably draw the most power depending on what they are.

Should have any issues with wireless door. Contacts and PIRs. Wireless dual techs, wireless bell boxes you may have to check compatibility. Wireless keypad won’t work.

It’s all about where you take power from and how much.

Sponsored Links
ok - what calcs (lol - hopeless at maths so no idea what to do there) - what do you mean by internals..?

Not worried about a wireless keypad...the 3 are all i need!

I dont understand the last thing about where power is taken from? (ive got the new plastic box, and the metal box with the power and extender in there...can i not wire to that/them?

Each device takes power.
When the system is in alarm that’s when the most current is drawn.

You have 4 sounders 2 internal and 2 external.

Pending on make and model will depend on how much power they will draw, along with the mode they are put in.

Draw too much power and the alarm won’t be happy.

Sounds like you can either work it out or suck it and see. If doing the later don’t put the battery on the sounders or in the panel or the expander so you can at least pull mains power to both and silence it all if the keypads don’t respond

Ok - so its a case of get the panel in, flash firmware, attach smartcom, flash, then add stuff gradually and test?

Just to add i think while the bell boxes work....theyve been up there for 20 odd years so i was going to replace those anyway/eventually...i think theyve got a couple of large capacitors in each one and when its gone off before when weve lost mains power theyve not stayed on very long...

Sponsored Links
Ok this what I would do
If you had replaced like for like ( but elite ) you could done a straight swop and switched a few things around …
As you have got a 48w it’s a bit different
You need to balance out the load between the 48w and the psu
See rough diagram
Your going to have to transfer some of the old zones onto the 8xp in the psu and possibly fit resistors in the ones you leave on the main panel ( 4 ) max
Post pictures of bellbox and internal sounders

Attachments

• IMG_2994.jpeg
    IMG_2994.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2995.jpeg
    IMG_2995.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 26
Ok- i kinda understand balancing out the zones between the 2....as i got the whole lot for 85quid (the smartcom being the more important part) would be it worth getting a different panel? - (before we get started!) and if you think i should what would you suggest...i can just put this panel back on ebay if i need to (just trying to make your life a little easier with barrage of questions im throwing at you!!

Oh - while i still think ive not got any handle on this yet thanks for staying with me...!

Just get a new 48 , at least you know it’s a good panel with no issues plus you won’t need the flasher as it should have the latest firmware or one that can be remote updated ….
Post pictures of what devices you have and a picture of the existing panel and psu together in the same picture

Attachments

• IMG_5810.png
    IMG_5810.png
    304.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5811.png
    IMG_5811.png
    547 KB · Views: 28
Righty...cool - thats ok..i can get one of those later - if i ever make it that far....! right...enough of the questions ill get the panel on order with the flasher - when i get the usb com ill update the 48w ive got here (im sure ill be asking questions) and move that on...!

Just double checking....this one ok...?

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If your getting a new one shop around prices vary a fair bit.

Version 5 and above panels can be flashed via the texexom cloud with a smart com

Oh..heres a shot of them side by side as requested...
20240113_214728.jpg

Last edited:
So - stuff starting to turn up....the new premier 48 panel arrived last night. Ive got the USB cable and ive also ordered (i know i dont need it for the new pane) a flasher unit so i can flash my old panel and the one i bought off of ebay (self inflicted training if you will) plus i thought it might be a handy thing to have...

The brand new panel looks nigh on identical to my original panel so im going to label it all up and transpose the wiring over....i did try briefly last night to get into the panel over the usb cable...coudnt get a connection (but i think i know what im missing) so will try again tonight...assuming i can get a connection ill read off the existing config....then when the flasher turns up (hopefully tomorrow) ill try to flash the panel to the latest version of whatever revision of panel that it is....

Having a crack at it today...plan is to get logged into the old panel and get a config off....ive got the usb com connected - my first problem is the udl password...i dont know that...i think i can set that from the keypad but cant find the menu option...? anyone know where it is in the sea of menus?

Edit...managed to get into the panel over com/usb.... going for ip set up next...

Next edit....found the ip settings and set those....still not pinging though..!
Next Next edit....got connection over ip...not sure how....messed around on the vitrual panel and here we are...

Next question (hopefully ill be able to answer it myself) is how to find the version....found a video which said menu and option 4 the video showed the keypad version but mine didnt.

Had to do it on the pad itself....it said v7.70 so not sure what the latest version is...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back