I was considering Intergas for a boiler replacement but I think I’ll have to give them a miss.

Whats the pressure for these companies to act in such a way?

Pressure to make a profit. But also the general public are easily mislead by the advertising and can be taken advantage of with few of them realising they are being duped.

This is a great product / service

>> these are the hidden costs / reason to not use us <<<

Sponsored Links
Pressure to make a profit. But also the general public are easily mislead by the advertising and can be taken advantage of with few of them realising they are being duped.

This is a great product / service

>> these are the hidden costs / reason to not use us <<<

Pretty much. When you have the C-suite saying you have to beat last quarters sales and always dancing to drumbeat of "The City" the pressure to build for now and deliver now trumps long term thinking and investment.

Afaik ?? the Uk is the biggest boiler market in Europe ??? There was talk a while back that the proposed changes to building regs in the future would

have meant (or will mean?) that gas boilers would not be installed in any new builds as they could not achieve the proposed efficiency levels ? not sure if that will still be the case ?

Those heating there homes with oil are likely to have a problem in the future as it is afaik proposed to phase it out ???

Recent changes to the building regs called " Boiler Plus" have come into force this month and will mean that any combination boiler installed will need to comply with the new install regs. So will require one of the following

Flue heat recovery

smart controls

out side compensation controls

Opentherm modulating controls

that gas boilers would not be installed in any new builds as they could not achieve the proposed efficiency levels ? not sure if that will still be the case ?

any combination boiler installed will need to comply with the new install regs

Some architects ( both active and retired ) are talking among themselves about the prospect that the new homes of the near future will be all electric, no gas at all.

Even where gas will be available to a new build a combination boiler may be frowned upon ( hence tighter regulations on new combination boilers ) with a low powered heat only boiler being the prefered ( and maybe only ) option.

Sponsored Links
Some architects ( both active and retired ) are talking among themselves about the prospect that the new homes of the near future will be all electric, no gas at all.

Even where gas will be available to a new build a combination boiler may be frowned upon ( hence tighter regulations on new combination boilers ) with a low powered heat only boiler being the prefered ( and maybe only ) option.

Does that mean householders will have to use electricity from gas fired power stations to heat their home? -doesnt sound very efficient.

Or electricity from Hinkley at 3 times the price.....

The problem, I think. in this country is the old housing stock that isnt well insulated.

New housing can probably be made to run on air source or ground source heat pumps.

Does that mean householders will have to use electricity from gas fired power stations to heat their home? -doesnt sound very efficient.

The comcept is to use renewables and nuclear for the main source and gas powered stations for rapid reapnse to fluctuations in the load.

New housing can probably be made to run on air source or ground source heat pumps.
Too many air sourced heat pumps in one area lower the external temperature and it is claimed by some that this could increase the heat required to be pumped for heating inside the homes, thus creating a vicious circle.

I think ground sourced heat pump district heating might be one solution with deep bore holes for the sources.

In the US as the homes are way larger they all use hot / cold ventilation systens. The gas fire warms are during the winter and then in summer the AC kicks in.

But they do have cavernous basements to house these HVAC systems.

Is hot water boiler system the best way to heat a home when space is restricted?

I'm thinking of replacing my boiler this year as my old one is getting on a bit. I’ve heard Intergas mentioned on here a few times (only four moving parts etc) so I looked them up. I only need a heat-only boiler as I had my system converted to a sealed one with an unvented hot water cylinder only last year. On the Intergas site, their heat only boilers state that they are for open vented systems so I emailed them asking if they were suitable for a sealed system like mine and if not, what boiler in their range would be suitable. I emailed them once on March 13th and again a week ago. They haven’t replied.

You have to wonder when a company fails to respond to a sales request from a potential customer what their customer service would be like if you had a problem with their product.

As Duncan Bannatyne says, “For that reason, I’m oot!”

Well well. Today I received a reply from Intergas, perhaps they read this forum! According to the reply I got, they recommend their system boiler to replace my heat only boiler so no good for me as I just want to replace like with like.

The comcept is to use renewables and nuclear for the main source and gas powered stations for rapid reapnse to fluctuations in the load.

Too many air sourced heat pumps in one area lower the external temperature and it is claimed by some that this could increase the heat required to be pumped for heating inside the homes, thus creating a vicious circle.

I think ground sourced heat pump district heating might be one solution with deep bore holes for the sources.

Some of this was dreamed up prior to finding out we are sitting on reserves of shale gas ?? (may be )

reliability (30 years ) is down to the simplicity of the boiler (?) lump of cast iron with a gas valve fitted tends to give u reliability.

scroll on to 2018 , highly efficient state of the art boilers and as a rule of thumb , reliability is down the toilet ?? but on the plus side it creates work ;)

Horse's foook horse's......sorry I meant horse's for courses.

Some heating systems are better for a Cart horse type boiler's that can take all you throw at them.
But most modern boilers are like finely tuned race horses everything has to be just right.
When everything is taken in to consideration I'm of the opinion that condensing boilers have a bigger carbon footprint than the old standard efficiency boilers. Two things you dont need to do with the old standard efficiency boilers, you don't have to boil water to thaw external condensate pipes and they do not require servicing every year. I'd never say that with a gas fire. But room sealed standard efficiency. .....they do not need servicing every year .....you open them up they're clean.
One I fitted about 15 years ago is like new inside the combustion chamber it's only had two faults in all that time, I'm now taking out condensing boilers because they've reached the end of their lives. Had to take a Vailant out five years old ........it was scrap.

Some of this was dreamed up prior to finding out we are sitting on reserves of shale gas ?? (may be )

The matter of new builds not being given a gas supply has been simmering in the background for many years. I don't think shale gas will alter the situation other than it might delay what some consider is the inevitable reduction the amount of gas available for heating homes.

Well well. Today I received a reply from Intergas, perhaps they read this forum! According to the reply I got, they recommend their system boiler to replace my heat only boiler so no good for me as I just want to replace like with like.

Apologies if I have mentioned this before.

Your existing pump, assuming it is non Erp will be costing you more to run (electic used) per year than the new Erp pump in the Intergas System boiler so the ERP pump will eventually pay for it self, as in save enough electricity to make up for the cost difference between the OV and the SB boiler.

The new System Boiler will come with 7 year warentee.

William Hill will give you good Odds that the existing pump will snuff it before the new one, plus the new one will be replaced if it goes toes up within the warentee period.

As you central heating system is now a sealed system I do not see any problem in your installer simply electrically isolating the existing pump.

I would suggest you ask the person doing the job for a bit of input regarding the boiler as they may be able to help/

Tim

They do read these forums ;);)

Sponsored Links
Back