Iceberg lettuce

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iceberg lettuces clear cellophane wrappers sealed with clear cellotape, makes me mad, I can never find the end of the cellotape, and end up attacking the wrapping with a carving knife, and end up destroying the wrapping.

Why can't they use coloured cellotape, so I can find the end of it.

It should be a criminal offence to use clear cellotape.

Rant over

Sponsored Links
Iceberg lettuces clear cellophane wrappers sealed with clear cellotape, makes me mad, I can never find the end of the cellotape, and end up attacking the wrapping with a carving knife, and end up destroying the wrapping.

Rant over
Why wrap it at all ?

Sponsored Links
i save the perphorated bread wrappers you get with fresh crusty or tiger type bread or rolls open one joint on the wrapper and use that it lets the lettuce breath without drying out or going mushy

AFAIK/ISTR It is wrapped because that is what is required to enable it to last longer.
Although there are many foods like apples, carrots, potatoes etc. that can last a long time when not wrapped, other foods such as cucumber and lettuce will go off very wuickly unless wrapped.
As horrid as it is, using plastic to wrap lettuces, this is what is required to enable them to last long enough to be sold in the supermarkets.

I saw a tv program about this subject not so long ago, some baldy chef guy - he's done the heinz beins factory etc.

So before we had plastic wraps, was the only way to eat lettuce to grow your own? It was unobtainable in greengrocers?

Rant over
Scary,what trivia people rant about.

So before we had plastic wraps, was the only way to eat lettuce to grow your own? It was unobtainable in greengrocers?
Was that back when the horse and cart came around with the milk and you had to put out a jug.

Sponsored Links
Back