Ideal height for wall lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ RF lighting : I am interested to know how you 'know' what the ideal height' is.
(instinct? aesthetic theory?)and why, given all the relevant information, you are unable to venture an idea.

Fraud, or self-doubt?!

Experience.

Can you hold the light against the wall, and I'll tell you when it looks right. Then I'll do the same for you. If you're happy with the position, that's the perfect place.

Thank you. So it's just gut feeling. But do you think you are better at knowing where to position lights than most of your customers, or do you think it is purely subjective?

(I am definitely better at choosing colours than most of mine are).

Sponsored Links
Too many factors.

You'd have to include some kind of 'correction factor' where coving is present and picture rails, which as you know being a decorator, can be level with the top of the door frame, or a good bit higher, or sometimes even a bit lower.

So include a correction factor. What's the problem?

Actually, if the wall were elegant enough to have coving and picture rails, I probably wouldn't be inclined to add the visual distraction of wall lights in any case. I cannot imagine that they would look right anywhere on such a wall, unless the pic rails were at least 3.5 m from the floor. Would you?

The problem is I can't be bothered to work such a thing out.

It's no good saying no wall lights just because there's a picture rail.

We have to fit them if that's what the customer wants, and so we suggest where the lights should go and still be asthetically pleasing with the picture rail in mind.

It doesn't want to be too near the picture rail.

You can bet your life that wherever a man said to fit them , a woman would say it's wrong .

It's no good saying no wall lights just because there's a picture rail.

We have to fit them if that's what the customer wants, and so we suggest where the lights should go and still be asthetically pleasing with the picture rail in mind.

It doesn't want to be too near the picture rail.

I agree.

Have you ever been asked to fit something that you know will look terrible?

Sponsored Links
You can bet your life that wherever a man said to fit them , a woman would say it's wrong .

I wonder why that has always been your experience of such things.

There are roughly equal numbers of male and female designers in the UK, though.

For goodness sake Emily, the point is it is your house and YOU who have to choose and live with it.
It is no good anyone here telling you what WE consider the perfect place because YOU may not like it.
What colour car should I buy?
No, if I knew the place had been fixed upon according to some objective principle (as opposed to mere whim), I would like it. Honest.
What colour car? Black, silver or red. Definitely not sludge-coloured or wishy washy pale turquoise (unless it is an invalid car).
What was difficult about that? :rolleyes:
Nothing difficult but
I LIKE BRITISH RACING GREEN.

Get it?

What colour car? Black, silver or red.
Well, there you are - proof positive that you are stupid, ignorant, uncultured, and don't have a molecule of aesthetic sensitivity in your body.

Silver cars are disgusting, revolting, and, with literally just a handful of historic exceptions, by far and away the worst colour for a car ever dreamed up.

I would take into account what else is on the wall, i have mirrors and flat tvs, on mine, there heights were more critical to me, so they was the deciding factor to get things symetrical

These wall lights:

http://www.diy.com/departments/colo...-lamp-halogen-single-wall-light/589688_BQ.prd

on a bathroom wall 2.1 m high and 2.45 m wide.

Its taken a while to get the full picture.

A bathroom wall. OK. So are they going either side of the mirror?
Then you put them in the right place to give illumination so you can glue your false eyelashes on.

I don't want to rain on your parade, dear Emily. But you have an issue that is more important than aesthetics. Nowhere on the product description does it say that these lights are suitable for use in a bathroom at all. In which zone were you planning to fit them?
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:bathroom_zones
Is the bathroom lighting circuit RCD protected?

It's up to you. It's your house.
So it is really up to you
For goodness sake Emily, the point is it is your house and YOU who have to choose and live with it.
It is no good anyone here telling you what WE consider the perfect place because YOU may not like it.
Do you get it now?

I appreciate that it's my house and normally I'm quite good at knowing instinctively whether something looks right or not.
I don't believe that to be true.

But I've always wondered whether there is an aesthetic principle behind things like how high wall lights go.
There isn't.

Do you get it now?

As a decorator, I'm often asked to advise on what things would/will look like, by people who genuinely do not know. My advice is based on aesthetic principles to do with colour, finish, light and space.
Really?

Why on earth do they ask someone who is so useless at that sort of thing that she cannot decide where she wants her lights in her own house because she is incapable of deciding for herself what she likes.

Do you get it now?

It seems to me that many electricians do not (if the answers on this thread and the positioning of the circuit board in the house I'm currently decorating is anything to go by...)
But it seems that everything you think about the position of the CU is wrong.

It seems that you want there to be rules which agree with you, when there aren't any.

Do you get it now?

Why are you all so terrified to admit you haven't got a clue about anything other than the purely technical aspects of electrical installation?!
We have.

And it's a much better clue than yours. You see we understand that you put things where you like them and where they work, not on the basis of some totally bogus formulae, such as "the right place to put wall lights (with shades) for maximum aesthetic effect is at a point which is between two thirds and three quarters, ideally 0.71, of the distance from floor to ceiling, that point being the centre of the light".

Do you get it now?

But ask yourselves : why is it that nobody has been able to answer a question about the aesthetics of wall lights
BECAUSE THERE IS NO ANSWER!

Do you get it now?

These wall lights:

http://www.diy.com/departments/colo...-lamp-halogen-single-wall-light/589688_BQ.prd

on a bathroom wall 2.1 m high and 2.45 m wide. No coving, no picture rail.

Where would you put 'em? :D
I would put MY lights in MY bathroom where I liked them.

Do you get it now?

No, if I knew the place had been fixed upon according to some objective principle (as opposed to mere whim), I would like it. Honest.
You might think you like it. But how would you know? You don't have a *(&*^$*!)#@ clue what you like.

Do you get it now?

I even suggested a formula of my own in the hope someone would agree or disagree with it, but nobody seems to have the confidence to venture an opinion, let alone a theory!
OK - I will fulfil your hope, demonstrate confidence, and advance a theory (of which I am certain).

Your formula is complete b****cks.

My opinion is that you are the last person anybody should ask to make decorative decisions for them.

My theory is that you are a sad, pathetic, inadequate, snivelling little troll.

Do you get it NOW?

e31.jpg

Emilly, I assume you are getting an electrician to fit these for you, would it not be wise to talk to them about this problem you have with light placement.

Failing that I know a good doctor, that maybe able to help you out!

You could use a formulae on light luminance, illuminance, surface relfection etc.

Then find the ideal spot for lighting the area, then say I don't like it there lets put it somewhere else, that looks more ornamentally pleasing!
Your the person who claims to have an eye for these things, can you not work this detail out yourself? You have had all the information you required in the very first page of this topic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back