Ideal Logic C30 Combi + Hive SLR1c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I know there are a number of threads on this, which I've read and attempted to follow.

Short version:

Had an old system boiler for HW and CH replaced with a Logic Max C30 Combi. Previously the system was wired up to a dual channel Hive. The guy that fitted the boiler said it'd need replacing with a single channel receiver.

Got one off eBay, and it turned up yesterday.

As the geezer is on holiday, and he told me it was a simple fitting for someone reasonable DIY-savvy given the wires were already there, thought I'd have a go.

Checked the wiring diagrams, read the forums, and eventually wired up the Hive end with L to L, N to N, a link from L to 1, and the CH ON control wire to 3, as per the photo below, and as the consensus seems to be for connecting these up on the forum.
IMG20240226205951.jpg

At the boiler end, the terminal block that is the room stat connection has a link loop in it as standard.

Connected the other end of the Terminal 3 wire in the Hive to the Room stat block, as shown:
IMG20240226210956.jpg

Unfortunately this hasn't worked. The Hive system isn't causing the boiler to fire up when you press the override button on the receiver.

Also tried taking the 'red' link loop wire in the second picture out of the boiler, but that also hasn't worked. You can see the terminal wiring key in the picture.

Only thing I haven't tried yet is to put the connecting wire in the 'other'/leftmost as you look at it terminal on the boiler.

Can anyone provide me with assistance / a clue as to why this isn't working, as I'm lost. The boiler manual for wiring is useless, as it suggests removing the red link wire and connecting the room stat across both terminals, but nothing on the forum suggests that is correct. I don't even know if it's a wiring issue, or a setting issue on the boiler now.

My CH Engineer that installed is on holiday until the 4th, and has said he'll come back and finish the install when he's back worst-case, but if it's something relatively simple I'd like to have it working before then so I don't have to keep manually turning the heating on at the boiler control panel.

Sponsored Links
Or is the answer here that Hive-Common and Hive-T3 get connected across the boiler room stat terminals? If so, do I still need the link wire between Hive-L and Hive-Common?

Where is the Hive power? Can’t see it at the boiler end.

Power to the Hive is a separate line off the same switched fused spur as the boiler power.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of the front of the boiler? Perhaps the Hive is a duff? Do you still have the dual channel?

Can post the picture, but not sure what that would tell you...?

Suppose there is always the chance the Hive could be knackered but my suspicion at the moment is that I've simply not wired it up right.

Yes still have the dual channel one.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Can post the picture, but not sure what that would tell you...?

Suppose there is always the chance the Hive could be knackered but my suspicion at the moment is that I've simply not wired it up right.

Yes still have the dual channel one.
Sorry, I forgot you hadn’t tried the switch live in the other terminal, try this, as it appears you have the call for heat (switch live) in the live out/common.

Sorry, I forgot you hadn’t tried the switch live in the other terminal, try this, as it appears you have the call for heat (switch live) in the live out/common.
Just to be clear, at which end of the wiring? Are you talking at the boiler end?

Should the red link wire at the boiler end remain in?

Or should I link Hive L to Hive Terminal 1, and then run Hive Terminal 2 and Hive Terminal 3 to the double terminal block in the boiler?

Currently, it's wired up like this, which is as I believe other threads recommended, but which isn't working:
IMG20240226223355.jpg

I'm now wondering if this can possibly work, unless the boiler defaults to CH Off? Ie unless there is a live signal at CH On, it's off?

My limited knowledge but common sense suggests it might need to be wired like this instead, but this requires knowing which terminal is which on the boiler room stat side (I think):
IMG20240226223410.jpg

Or perhaps like this:
IMG20240226224306.jpg

Just to be clear, at which end of the wiring? Are you talking at the boiler end?

Should the red link wire at the boiler end remain in?

Or should I link Hive L to Hive Terminal 1, and then run Hive Terminal 2 and Hive Terminal 3 to the double terminal block in the boiler?
The boiler end. Remove the link, as this provides an override (permanently on) controlled by the boiler. So leave the hive as is and transfer the blue wire from the right hand part of the connector block to the left as you’re looking at it. The 2nd picture without a link at the hive is an alternative way, but you’d then need the brown wire connected both ends too.

The boiler end. Remove the link, as this provides an override (permanently on) controlled by the boiler. So leave the hive as is and transfer the blue wire from the right hand part of the connector block to the left as you’re looking at it. The 2nd picture without a link at the hive is an alternative way, but you’d then need the brown wire connected both ends too.
Right. I shall try that then. Not sure how one determines which terminal on the boiler block is CH On across the room stat, as there's no markings to indicate, but if it turns out to be that simple I shall be happy!

On the second picture, presumably that also relies on getting the CH On/Off matched on both Hive and boiler side, which again, no markings. And if that doesn't require the L-1 link at the Hive, where does the power in that circuit come from?

On the second picture, presumably that also relies on getting the CH On/Off matched on both Hive and boiler side, which again, no markings. And if that doesn't require the L-1 link at the Hive, where does the power in that circuit come from?
It comes from the boiler, it works the same way as a switch. Pretty poor there’s no markings, but it’s in the mi’s.

Well.

Got it sorted in the end, perhaps more by trial-and-error than anything, but it's currently working so I'll take what I can get!

Turns out - and I don't know if this is common or not - but the standard Hive pin-out diagram for the single-channel receiver suggests that the Heating On (NO) signal is on Terminal 3, and that Heating Off (NC) is in Terminal 2. However the circuit diagram actually printed on the back of my SLR2c states that NO is on Terminal 2...

As soon as I realized that, swapped the wires over and bingo! All working!

The system set-up did still need the permanent live loop to Common on Terminal 1 to function however, so it seems that if you're wiring up with both NO and NC connected as per one of the sketches I posted, you do still need this as neither boiler nor Hive Receiver supplies this live-to-Common in the same way the dual-channel receiver does.

Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone else who has a similar problem. If I can be bothered, I'll take some photos of the wiring to post for reference for anyone else that might have the same issue.

Thanks all for the help!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back