Ideal Response 120 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My boiler fires up, the burner light comes on, then goes off. It does this 3 times, then the ignition lock out light comes on and it stops.

cant get any hot water or central heating.

Anyone know what the problem is?

HELP! :(

Sponsored Links
you have an ignition fault probably due to wet electrodes/water on the burner. These boilers are prone to heat exchangers leaking which is an expensive repair-your often better off with a new boiler.

Definately not a DIY job, I suggest you get a local RGI around.

Any idea how much the repair will cost?

Whats the cost of a new boiler? Fitted.

I think this is going to cost me, Ouch! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Any idea how much the repair will cost?

Whats the cost of a new boiler? Fitted.

I think this is going to cost me, Ouch! :eek:

british gas do a fixed price repair on these boilers for around £200 I believe as do Ideal themselves.

A new combi boiler fitted would be in excess of £1500 if you want anything half decent.

Thanks for the replies, i just phoned a plumber friend and he seems to think it is the fan....Though he admits hes no boiler expert, he is corgi registered though.

Mmm, it sounds like its going to be expensive either way, i dont know if its worth repairing or not, the boilers only about 4 years old though, i would have thought it would last longer than it has. :(

Thanks for the replies, i just phoned a plumber friend and he seems to think it is the fan....Though he admits hes no boiler expert, he is corgi registered though.

Mmm, it sounds like its going to be expensive either way, i dont know if its worth repairing or not, the boilers only about 4 years old though, i would have thought it would last longer than it has. :(

the response 120 is definately alot more than 4 years old.

I would be prepared to have a small wager that its not the fan.
My money is on the leaky heat exchanger.

Thanks for the replies, i just phoned a plumber friend and he seems to think it is the fan....Though he admits hes no boiler expert,

The guys that said it was probably the hex, are. There is a possibility that is the ignition, but my money is on the hex too.
One way or the other, the response is one of the worst boilers ever put on the market; if there is any way you can afford to get a decent boiler, ditch this heap while you still can. Not much point in spending money on replacing it with another inferior product though.

He says the burner light comes on! Then it goes out!

I dont remember if the burner on light is really exactly that but in any case I find that now about 80% of responses that I go to are leaking on the HE now.

I have heard a lot of stories saying that neither BG nor Ideal are still replacing the hE on these at "normal" fixed price repairs.

Replacement is not that easy because they are quite powerful which is why they were very good value at £541 and lots were fitted, mostly now replaced!

I fitted one, against my advice, but at the clients request and it failed after three years!

It would be difficult to get a replacement of the same power, 35 kW, for as little as £1500 unless that was plus vat.

I would never want to fit a lower power combi boiler as a replacement. I usually suggest a 28 kW or 30 kW as a replacement for a 24kW.

Tony

it never ceases to amaze me that there's still responses out there working away. Replace it or spend the next few years throwing money down the drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back