If things get cold they contract.......right ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So water gets cold it freezes turns to a solid and does what ?

floats ...........................proof of god !!!!

If it sunk evolution couldn't have occurred ! :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Because scientifically, water acts different from other liquids.....its a right bugger :LOL:

water is not the only thing that expands on freezing, the metal Bismuth expands on solidifying too.

Wotan

Sponsored Links

Did they teach you nothing at school? My then science teacher told me how and why 40 odd yrs ago, thats why duck ponds dont freeze as the minimum water temperature is about 4'c.

Did they teach you nothing at school? My then science teacher told me how and why 40 odd yrs ago, thats why duck ponds dont freeze as the minimum water temperature is about 4'c.

The kew issue is that they freeze from the top down.

Some more facts:
Water has the second highest specific heat capacity of any known chemical compound, after ammonia, as well as a high heat of vaporization (40.65 kJ mol−1), both of which are a result of the extensive hydrogen bonding between its molecules. These two unusual properties allow water to moderate Earth's climate by buffering large fluctuations in temperature.

The water molecule is not linear but bent in a special way. As a result, part of the molecule is negatively charged and part positively charged

Water is colorless in small amounts, but exhibits a bluish tinge in large quantities

One of the most amazing things I've read about water is that when you freeze it to below about -270, it starts to climb up the side of it's container! here's a book and a film:

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/H2O-Biography-Water-Philip-Ball/dp/0753810921]H2O: A Biography of Water: Philip Ball: Amazon.co.uk: Books[/ame]

There is much more about water if you're interested.

You're confused 4 degrees C is the temperature at which water is at it's most dense. From that point water will expand if the temperature rises or falls. It turns to ice at 0 degrees C and as has been said, because this is less dense the ice forms at the top, which insulates the water below from freezing.

Sponsored Links
Back